A Lesson In Elevating Family & Self | The Odyssey Online

A Lesson In Elevating Family & Self

There are blood relatives and then there are families.

31
A Lesson In Elevating Family & Self
Isabella Askar

We all have different relationships with our siblings and cousins, but in my fortunate experience, family is an unbreakable bond. However, this bondage, both naturally inclined and prompted by our parents, is one of several moving parts. What keeps the engine going is a principal that is applicable to more than just the home. This includes the workplace or time spent with friends; I encourage you to see it in every avenue and window, the opportunity is there. So what exactly is this all encompassing attribution which makes a bond unbreakable? Selflessness.

Sharing the same parent does not define the strength of a brotherly bond. To achieve such greatness, altruism is vital to such progress. I have been able to learn from my father, of the realistic steps required for this type of mentality. There are several, but one that always comes to mind is dental floss, as strange as that may seem. On a daily and nightly basis, my father will ask if I, or if any of my siblings, have flossed. It has become so routine for him that he may absentmindedly give us the floss sticks without even asking. It makes sense that he might not ask; my siblings and I are not usually so willing to take initiative here, as flossing is not exactly a most exciting activity! Understand that my father is not a dentist, but more importantly that his mind is always strategizing, with hardly a moment of rest. For him to take notice and such constant care of a habit as miniscule as this along with all else that is much more grand, is truly beyond standard. When the time comes, I too, want to be the best mother, but why not begin these good habits now, for the sake of elevating family and one’s self?

Start with what you know. I began mirroring my father in ways that I felt capable. It may not be floss that I am adamant about, but it could be in an area that I would consider myself well acquainted with. When my brother comes home, maybe I should ask him how his day was instead of waiting for my father to. Being summer, vacationing begins in the head, with our willingness to think growing more sluggish by the minute. Why not also ask if he has done anything productive today? Although this is not completely true by any means, I have been coined as the avid reader in my family. I can take advantage of this and put that trademark to use. Instead of playing video games all day, maybe I can convince my brother otherwise. When my first cousins are over and are acting u p alongside my little sister, instead of yelling or avoiding them all together, I should try to educate them. It is easy for any pre-adult individuals like myself to forget that the children, especially the younger ones, look up to us as these cool and inspiring figures. They are not quite sure if we are adults because we do not look so mature, but we are definitely larger than them! Put this fact of life to good use and make it count.

There are blood relatives and then there are families. Embrace your loved ones and care for one another with altruistic ease. Envision the power of such a bond and the beauty that it holds. All it takes is effort.