The Eight Best Places On Quinnipiac University's Main Campus

A definitive list of every QU student's favorite places on the good old Mount Carmel campus.

340

Quinnipiac's Mount Carmel campus is one of those places that you immediately fall in love with the moment you walk onto the quad. I mean, it's pretty hard to see the perfect brick building and the manicured lawn without becoming at least slightly obsessed with QU's campus. Even in the pouring rain, it still looks pretty. Plus, there are tons of places on campus where students love to be. Read on for the definitive list of the eight best places on the Mount Carmel campus:

1. The CAS Woods

The woods connecting CAS to the rest of main campus are definitely a highlight of QU's beauty. "Narnia," as it's better known, is a picturesque place. On your way to and from class, you momentarily feel like you're actually experiencing nature, rather than the stereotypical (and partially artificially implanted) quad grass. Plus, the random statue in the woods is always a great (and incredibly awkward) conversation starter when your friends from home come to visit!

2. The Quad

Are you really a Quinnipiac student if you don't love laying out on the quad on nice days? It can be hard to even find a place to sit, whether you're eating lunch, catching up with friends in between classes, or doing homework. We all know that a good portion of our tuition dollars are being funneled into perfectly manicured grass, so we might as well enjoy it! Plus, sitting on the quad with your laptop while you finish up an essay or homework assignment definitely beats being stuck in your stuffy dorm room on a nice day!

3. The Rotunda

Sure, it can be a little weird to be facing twelve other students who are sitting in the circular setup of the Rotunda, but once you get past that initial awkward stage, it can actually be a pretty cool place to do homework. The natural sunlight is also a huge plus; studies have shown that it's much better to work in a naturally lit environment as opposed to artificial lamps, so it's great to take advantage of that sunlight while you can!

4. The Library

The clock tower on the library may just be the most stereotypical Quinnipiac spot in existence, but that doesn't mean it's not a favorite for QU students! Not only does the picture-perfect outside of the building make for the perfect Instagram post (#nofilter, anyone?), but the inside of the library can be pretty useful, too. I know I practically lived in the library during the first few weeks of my freshman year, when my dorm on the top floor of Ledges was just too hot and sticky to handle. Plus, there are some really useful resources for research papers, technology issues, etc., and people who are hired specifically to help you with these things. The coffee vending machine on the second floor doesn't hurt either when you're pulling an all-nighter during finals week ...

5. The Piazza

The piazza has always been my absolute favorite spot on campus, from the first time I toured Quinnipiac. The fireplace in the wintertime is a huge plus and is definitely a nice touch when you walk from your dorm to the Student Center and are absolutely freezing. It's no surprise that so many students choose the piazza as a place to hang out with friends between classes, eat lunch, have a meeting, etc. Plus, it makes for a nice spot to catch up on Netflix (er, do homework ...) with the comfortable chairs!

6. The Cafeteria

Don't worry: I'm not suggesting that Chartwells food is a highlight of Quinnipiac! But the cafeteria area itself is actually quite nice and a popular choice for students to hang out. There's a ton of seating, access to candy (and other food, I guess!), a view of the Quad, and multiple different areas, so you can claim your own space. For people who don't like absolute silence when studying, the constant buzz of the cafeteria can actually be a great place to park yourself and be super productive with assignments and studying.

7. The Sleeping Giant

Ok, so technically the Sleeping Giant isn't actually part of Quinnipiac's campus, but it might as well be, considering how close it is! Lots of teachers use its resources for lessons, and hiking is a fun activity for hanging out with friends or getting some exercise! The amazing view from the Quad doesn't hurt, either. One of my favorite times to be on the Quad is right after it has rained on a hot day, when fog is lifting over the Sleeping Giant mountain. It's slightly eerie, but also a super cool scene.

8. The Campus Bookstore

All Quinnipiac bobcats love to show their pride (especially during hockey season), so it's no surprise that the bookstore in the Student Center is one of the most frequented places on campus for students. The merchandise is always changing; it's hard not to pass by the windows and see something that you just have to have! Maybe the bookstore isn't our wallet's favorite place, but having a one-stop shop for last-minute birthday and holiday gifts is super convenient.