8 Cool Places To Visit In New York City | The Odyssey Online

8 Cool Places To Visit In New York City

Whether you're here for college, a vacation or you're a New York native, you shouldn't miss these spots.

39
8 Cool Places To Visit In New York City
Alexandra Fitzpatrick

New York is arguably the greatest city in the world. Part of the Big Apple's appeal stems from the fact that there is something for everyone. Whether you're here for college, vacation or you're a New York native, here are eight cool spots you shouldn't miss.

1. St. Mark's Place

A punk kid's dream, this historic East Village street was the home of Manhattan's rockers and drug addicts in the '70s and '80s... As well as a place for beatniks and iconoclasts to hang out in the '50s and '60s. It's a bit more mainstream now, but it's still a cool place to take a walk. If you're a fan of "Friends," you can even go to 'St. Mark's Comics' and commemorate Ross being mugged as a child... Also, it's a cool place to be pierced.

2. Union Square Park

Central Park may get all the love, but Union Square Park is easily one of the prettiest in the city. Full of artwork, like this green lady pictured above, and statues of Washington and Lincoln, it's an artsy, green spot. On Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays there's even a food market.

3. The Strand Bookstore

Just a few blocks from Union Square Park is 'The Strand,' an awesome bookstore with a huge variety of rare and used books. The store also hosts a ton of cool events (Personally, I got to meet George Watsky there with two of my friends, and it was awesome).

4. The High Line

If it's a nice day out a walk on the 'High Line' elevated park is a great way to spend it. The 'High Line' goes through Chelsea and the Meat Packing District-- a cool place to get lunch is 'Chelsea Market.' At the end of the line, you can go to the 'Whitney Museum of American Art.'

5. Williamsburg

It may be overrun with hipsters, but Williamsburg still has much to offer in restaurants and interesting shops. I recommend 'Pies n' Thighs' on South 4th Street for good fried chicken and great pecan pie.

6. SoHo

If you're into fashion and photogenic cobblestone roads, SoHo is the place for you. There are less expensive alternatives, like 'H&M' and 'Forever 21' mixed in with 'Topshop' and high end stores like 'AllSaints,' so you don't need to be rolling in cash to spend an evening. It's also quite close to Little Italy and Chinatown, so you've got a lot of food options.

7. DUMBO

An acronym for 'Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass,' DUMBO is accessible by ferry and has parks and various cool restaurants.

8. Washington Square Park

Located in the heart of Greenwich Village, Washington Square Park is an artsy spot where musicians and writers gather. It's an awesome place to visit and during the warmer months, there is a fountain that runs water, of which is not only aesthetically pleasing but is also a great way to cool off.