10 Easily Avoidable Mistakes We've Made As Freshmen ​So Far | The Odyssey Online

10 Easily Avoidable Mistakes We've Made As Freshmen ​So Far

What you can do to have a smoother transition to college

16
Sam Leifer

The first two weeks of your freshman year in college are a whirlwind of emotions and confusion. Everyone is lost in the chaos and has no idea what to do, and that can lead to some mistakes while getting used to your new environment. While we are far from experts in college life, we wanted to share these ten easily avoidable mistakes that we’ve learned from starting at college life.

1. Have your ID ready at security

Sam: If your dorm involves a card-swipe system, it’s definitely a good idea to have your ID ready before you reach security. The mailroom for my dorm is right next to the security desk, so when I picked up a large package one day and put my ID away, it was a struggle to take it back out with both hands full! You can only imagine how ticked the people behind me were as they were waiting to swipe in.

2. Buy a lanyard ASAP

Madison: I thought that I would get a free lanyard at a club event so I decided to hold off spending that crippling $3 and that instead, a safety pin would make a great temporary keychain to keep my keys together. Long story short, I got locked out of my room twice and ended up severely stabbing my hand, so just do yourself a favor and splurge on that lanyard or keychain as soon as you’re given the chance. Don’t wear it around your neck though, unless you’re trying to accentuate your freshmanness.

3. Don’t take the first day of class too seriously

Sam: Our first class, a 400-person lecture for Introduction to Communications, started with the professor giving a fast-paced speech about psycho- and neurolinguistics. While frantically typing notes on our laptops, some of our classmates were on the student website dropping the class that minute. Forty minutes into his speech, the professor stopped and said “I’m pulling your guys’ legs, none of that stuff is important and you don’t need to know it now.” It was a simple reminder that college is definitely a step up from high school, but the first few days or weeks, especially in freshman year, don’t need to be taken too seriously.

4. Don’t say “no”

Madison: Just don’t do it. Unless all of your friends are making seriously bad decisions, say “yes” as often as possible and go to events and activities that you maybe wouldn’t normally go to. Get out of your comfort zone! It’s the best way to get involved.

5. Don’t wait for the ever-delayed campus shuttle

Madison: Wait 20 minutes or walk 20 minutes? Seriously, just walk. Enjoy the fresh air. Smell some flowers. Don’t bother waiting for a bus for the same amount of time or longer than it would take you to just walk where you’re going. It’s better for your body and a good way to clear your mind, even if you are tired after a long day.

6. Don’t wait to sign up for activities

Madison: Have activities lined up before you show up to school. Whether that means having a few job interviews, having an idea of what clubs you want to join, or even just organizing the dates of tryouts/auditions, knowing these things makes it a lot less stressful once you get to campus. In addition, beating the slow-pokes to the punch helps you get the positions you want. Staying busy can also help deter homesickness. It may be a little bit of work and possibly a minor headache, but it will certainly be worth it.

7. Don’t schedule back-to-back classes if they aren’t nearby

Sam: Our campus is a two-mile strip along Commonwealth Avenue rather than a traditional square campus, so getting across campus takes about thirty minutes from end to end. Those who have classes back-to-back are granted ten minutes to walk to class, but it’s definitely not enough. When I found out that one of my classes was on the opposite side of campus, I dropped that as quick as possible and registered for a class in a timeslot that allowed me to get there.

8. Don’t stress about having a bad orientation

Madison: Sitting through ceremony after ceremony may be fun for some people, but chances are, there are other people that are just as bored and miserable as you are. Just because everyone you happen to meet is super perky and enthusiastic about orientation doesn’t mean that the entire freshman class feels that way. Don’t freak out and question your life decisions if you are having a seemingly different experience from everyone around you, because that is probably not the case.

9. Don’t stay in the dorm for more than an hour (except sleep)

Sam: The dorm is boring! I found myself having a much better time when I was elsewhere. Studying in the library rather than at my desk, wandering around the few grassy areas our campus has and going to expos were great ways to meet and connect with people. The few times I was a recluse in the dorm were not fun and left me thinking about better ways I could spend my time.

10. Go out your first weekend and enjoy yourself

Sam: The Greater Boston area has more than ten major universities, so obviously there are going to be parties. A couple of friends and I went out to find some our first Friday night, and even though we didn’t get into any parties, walking around Boston and just hanging out with them was a great bonding experience. I have no regrets about what I did my first weekend because I know staying in would not have been fun (see above) and I got to meet some really cool people.