Eagles 2017 NFL Draft Scenarios, Rounds 1-4

With a deep defensive and running back draft, the Eagles could go in many directions with their early draft picks.

11
profootballspot.com

There are obviously hundreds of possibilities for what can happen in the early rounds of this year's NFL Draft, which is what makes mock drafts such a tantalizing waste of time. All the same, they provide answers to those hundreds of possibilities and the thousands of questions that follow those possibilities. My goal for this article is to provide answers to like 4 questions, as I'll make a few skeleton (no player analysis) 4-round mock drafts that entertain different scenarios that the Eagles could find themselves in, based on who they take in each round.

There are going to be a few rules to this skeleton mock draft. The first rule is that the Eagles will not take a running back in the first round. From all of the analysis I have read, and with this loaded running back draft, I am dead-set that the Eagles will not draft a running back at pick 14. Although I very much would love to see Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, or Christian McCaffrey wearing midnight green, I would much rather see (and expect) John Ross, Reuben Foster, Derek Barnett, etc. wearing green on game day.

My other rule is that the Eagles will select two cornerbacks in the first four rounds, and one of them has to be in the first two rounds. Thankfully the team has five picks in four rounds, so half of their choices won't just be cornerbacks.

I will also choose to not repeat possible players that can be picked in each round. For example, if Jourdan Lewis is the pick in round 4 in one of my skeleton mocks, I will find another possible player for the Eagles to select in round 4 in the next mock, to show as many possibilities as possible. My point is that these are not actually grounded mock drafts, but rather draft scenarios to hit valuable players and needs at the right times.

It's no mystery that the Eagles are looking for cornerbacks, defensive linemen, a running back, and perhaps long-term answers at wide receiver. It is also not a mystery that a linebacker could be in the mix this early in the draft, so those are the team needs that I will use in the following scenarios.

I hope you enjoy.

First Scenario: Eagles Select a Cornerback in Round 1

(CB, EDGE, WR, RB, CB)

I have been skeptical that the birds will pick a corner in the first round, as the pick will most likely be, in my opinion, a bit of a stretch. In this scenario, this is who is selected in each round:

Round 1, Pick 14- Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

Round 2, Pick 43- Jordan Willis, EDGE, Kansas State

Round 3, Pick 99- Chad Hansen, WR, California

Round 4, Pick 119- Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Round 4, Pick 139- Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Jordan Willis, EDGE

Likelihood of this happening- I could very easily see the Eagles taking Wilson in the first round, Willis might not be there at 43, but I think it's close enough to consider this scenario very possible, resulting in a strong early defensive draft. Hansen could be a bargain John Ross with in the third, still leaving solid options at RB and CB in the talent-heavy draft.

Second Scenario: Eagles Select Derek Barnett in Round 1

(EDGE, CB, WR, RB, CB)

Unless Solomon Thomas is sitting there, begging to be drafted at 14 (not going to happen), then any pass rusher at 14 is a bit of a stretch. The only other player who can be considered here is-

1,14- Derek Barnett, EDGE, Tennessee

2,43- Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

3,99- Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington

4,119- James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh

4,139- Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

James Conner, RB

Likelihood of this happening- Barnett is definitely on the Eagles radar, but they might need to trade up to get Humphrey in the second round. He's been mocked as a top-10 and as a late 2nd, so nothing is out of the question. Conner could definitely fall to 119, but Sutton at 139 is a bit hopeful. I would be VERY surprised if none of these players is an Eagle next season.

Third Scenario: Eagles Select John Ross in Round 1

(WR, CB, EDGE, CB, RB)

This pick could also be Corey Davis if he is available, but as I've gone into detail in the past, I feel like Ross could open up the field for the Eagles in a unique way, so I think the Birds are leaning slightly in Ross' favor. Ross is a slight stretch as well, but I believe he could also be one of the most underrated players in this draft.

1,14- John Ross, WR, Washington

2,43- Kevin King, CB, Washington

3,99- Dawuane Smoot, EDGE, Illinois

4,119- Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia

4,139- Matt Dayes, RB, North Carolina State

Matt Dayes, RB

Likelihood of this happening- Kevin King at 43 would be a godsend, as his stock has been rising as of late as a potential late-first rounder. Ross is on my top-5 list of players that I think the Eagles will draft, so it would be cool to have two Washington players drafted back to back to the Birds. Realistically, even Sidney Jones could make this list if teams hesitate on him until the 4th round. This is, in my opinion, a pretty likely scenario. Dayes is an under-the-radar receiving back, which is the kind of player that Doug Pederson covets.

Fourth Scenario: Eagles Select Reuben Foster in Round 1

(LB, CB, RB, CB, EDGE)

1,14- Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama

2,43- Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

3,99- D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

4,119- Desmond King, CB, Iowa

4,139- Carl Lawson, EDGE, Auburn

Desmond King, CB/S

Likelihood of this happening- If Reuben Foster falls to 14, which has become more of a possibility, according to some of the latest mocks, then the Eagles shouldn't hesitate to grab him as a best player available pick. In my opinion, if two quarterbacks are picked before the Eagles are up to draft, Foster could very easily be waiting for them. Tankersley, Foreman, King, and Lawson could all very much be on the Eagles' radar, and of that group the only player who may not be available to them would be Foreman, who has also been seen as a 2nd rounder. King adds versatility, as he can play safety, so the Eagles are probably already fans of him.

With the NFL Draft only a couple weeks away, expect more borderline obsessive articles on the topic. Give me your opinions!