Downtown Hickory Welcomes You

Downtown Hickory Welcomes You

Downtown Hickory may be small, but there are a few places and events that every Hickory native or tourist must experience.

51
Downtown Hickory Welcomes You
STACEY VAN BERKEL

Growing up in a town with a population that is slightly over 40 thousand, one ends up interacting with the same group of people on an almost daily basis. While living in Hickory, North Carolina, I found myself most often hanging out around downtown. Given that downtown Hickory is not as fascinating as Asheville, Winston-Salem, or even Charlotte, it still has a few staple places and events that every Hickory native—or even a tourist—must experience while being in this lower-half of the 828.

1. Olde Hickory Tap Room

The Olde Hickory Tap Room is a downtown favorite. From the long list of beers to the buffalo oysters and mozzarella sticks, this place is perfect for a family dinner or simple evening date.

2. Yoga With An Edge

Whether you are a die-hard yogi or just beginning, Yoga With An Edge is a great yoga experience. The instructors are awesome, there is wide range of classes, and they even give students a discount.

3. Hickory Community Theater

The Hickory Community Theater, or HCT, is hosted in a historic, brick building that was built in the early 1920s. Many great plays are hosted in the main auditorium or in the basement known as the Fireman's Kitchen. It is a great place to spend an evening, and while you may run into a friend or two, you may run into a ghost as well.

4. Hickory Alive

If you are ever free on a Friday night during the summer, Hickory Alive is an event you must check out. Hosted on Union Square every Friday evening during June and July, it is a place where people gather to enjoy music, food, and fun.

5. Taste Full Beans Coffeehouse

Taste Full Beans, or TFB, is a coffee house that is full of character. It is a place to come in for a great latte and a yummy slice of quiche. TFB sells local art from a variety of artists, hosts Poetry Hickory every second Tuesday of each month, and houses Hickory's Open Mic on certain Saturdays. Whether you are stopping in for a quick coffee treat or meeting for a business lunch, TFB is a must.

6. Olde Hickory Station

The Olde Hickory Station is a unique location. Formerly an old train station, the restaurant has a delicious seasonal menu, over 50 beers on tap, wines, cheese, and outstanding baked goods. The best part, they are open until 2 a.m.

7. Carolina Theater

Carolina Theater is a staple piece in Hickory. Built in 1934, the theater has two rooms for showing 2nd-run films for three-dollars a ticket.

8. Farmer's Market

From April through November, the Hickory Farmer's Market takes place on Union Square every Wednesday and Saturday. From fresh produce, flowers, coffee, cards, meat, and knick-knacks, the Farmer's Market booms with people supporting local families' livelihoods.

9. Hatch Sandwich Bar

Hatch Sandwich Bar is easily overlooked. It is located in a small space on 1st Avenue NW. Hatch is known for their unique sandwiches—including a variety of vegetarian and gluten free options, fun sides, and friendly atmosphere. Hatch has been rated as the #1 restaurant in Hickory by TripAdvisor since 2013.

10. Oktoberfest

Since 1985, the Hickory Oktoberfest has become one of the premier festivals in Western North Carolina. The annual three-day festival occurs during the second weekend of October and consists of a variety of music, beer, games, vendors, art, and fun.

Growing up in the lower 828 has been an enjoyable decade or two. No, Hickory is not a giant city where events happen every night, but it is a respectable and entertaining city to spend some time in. Hickory is conveniently located about an hour from Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Boone, and Asheville. So if you are ever in the neighborhood, come and spend some time exploring downtown.