Do's and Dont's of Online Shopping | The Odyssey Online

Do's and Dont's of Online Shopping

Don't worry, your identity will not be stolen.

41
Do's and Dont's of Online Shopping
Alfa Info

Online shopping is the quickest way to drain your bank account. So it is important to know what to do and what not to do when shopping online. Here are the do’s and don’ts of online shopping.

Do’s

Do your research. When it comes to the Internet, it is easy to be scammed. If you have never heard of a website you’re shopping on, take the time to read reviews about that website. There have been many times where I come across a deal that is too good to be true, and the website turns out to be a sham. If it is an app you’re shopping on, there will be a review on the app store so it is easy to find.

Do find coupon codes. Most of the time there is a coupon code running while you’re shopping on the website. Use it to get free shipping or a percent off of your total. Retail Me Not is a great website to find coupon codes and it is easy to use.

Do sign up for newsletters. Yes, it is somewhat bothersome to get an email every day from that store, but it will save you time and money. Usually when you sign up for a newsletter, you can get a coupon code as well.

Do shop online at well-known stores. Shopping at Forever 21 or Nordstrom's online is highly reliable. You know you can’t go wrong with shopping online. Most of the time, it is actually easier to just shop online with well-known stores.

Do read reviews on that particular item you want. If you’re on Amazon, there’s likely to be a review on the product. If it is horrible, maybe that item is not the best one to purchase. Reading reviews on sizing is valuable, too.

Don’ts

Don’t buy the first thing you see. If you’re shopping online and see something right away and love it, don’t buy it. Surf around the web and see if there is a better deal or better website to buy it on. Most likely something that you find will be available on another website. This mainly refers to you if you find something you like on a random online store.

Don’t pay for shipping. Most of the time, if you wait it out, you can get free shipping on a website. Or shop on a website that constantly has free shipping. Shipping is just an unnecessary burden.

Don’t think websites that ship from China are frauds. My parents always tell me if I buy something from China, someone on the internet would steal my identity. False. I’ve bought things from AliExpress and have nothing but great things to say. These websites always have extremely good deals.

Don’t pay full price. This goes along with shipping, but eventually that item you are keeping an eye on will go on sale. Once that email from that store pops in your inbox giving you a coupon code, make that purchase! Also, check out places like eBay and Poshmark for pre-owned items, if you don’t mind purchasing items that are slightly used but super cheap.