I Want To Stop Fearing Cops | The Odyssey Online

I Want To Stop Fearing Cops

Police brutality

8
I Want To Stop Fearing Cops
Pexels.com

I am sick and tired of everything that is going on in this country, the way black lives are put in jeopardy every time we step outside. I don't want to be scared at the fact that whenever I possibly get pulled over could be the end for me, I don't want to have to think about saying goodbye to my family because I'm not sure if I'll make it back home. I don't want to fear being stereotyped because of my color, or how I decide to dress one day. I don't want to fear waking up one day seeing my best friend, mother, father, sister, or brother shot dead in the street for walking home from school all over the news and the same things being repeated Cop goes on paid leave until they figure out how to make the kid look like they put the cops life at risk and end up with No Justice for the family who just lost their child. You never know the kid could've been a straight A student, an All-Star Athlete, one of the sweetest well-liked kid in the neighborhood; but they don't see that because of the color of their skin.

I'm not saying that every day is promised if you don't encounter a cop or even if you do encounter cop because not all cops are bad, I'm just saying that how can we be safe in a country that is trying to eliminate us; but expect us to live like nothing is happening. Like it's a cops choice to see who lives today and doesn't. How do we stay safe when the people who are supposed to protect its citizens is killing them? How are we suppose to react? In no way am I saying that I agree with the protests that have been happening, ruining cities especially the parts of the cities that we live in or the Black Lives Matter Protests because that's just a bunch of talk. We need something in between both of those just like how we fought in the 60's and before that. Because racism isn't dead and won't be dead if we don't make changes with our police and with our government.

Respect to Colin Kaepernick, at first I didn't agree with him kneeling down but now I completely support him in these efforts and wish more athletes black, white, Hispanic, Asian whoever would recognize and even do. Yeah, we stand for the people who have fought for our country to be free but if were not free in America then how are we fighting other countries for freedom? But that's a whole other topic for another day. Kaepernick is expressing his freedom of speech by taking a knee while they say the pledge and you can feel however you want about it because this is America.