Don't Choose The Side Of The Oppressor

Don't Choose The Side Of The Oppressor

Diving into the difference between facts and opinions.

104
Don't Choose The Side Of The Oppressor
Quote Fancy

In today's internet age where millennials are constantly coming up with new lingo such as, 'lit,' 'on fleek' and 'fam,' it can be difficult to keep track of the definitions of words in the ever-evolving English language. Here are a few definitions for those out there that are having a bit of trouble with these new words.

Lit |lit|, adjective, informal; intoxicated also, fun: the party at Cody's is going to be so lit

On fleek, a phrase used to mean, "exactly right" or "perfectly done": her eyebrows were on fleek

Fam, abbreviation; "family"or, "familiar" as in "friends": I'm going to the mall with my fam

Fact |fakt|, noun; a thing that is indisputably the case: she lacks political experience—a fact that becomes clear when she appears in public | a body of fact.

Opinion |əˈpinyən|, noun; a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge: I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance | that, in my opinion, is dead right.

Funnily enough, it seems to be the last two words that a lot of people have recently been mixing up the definitions of. For a bit of practice, let's look at some standalone statements and categorize them under Opinion or Fact:

Opinions:

1. Tomatoes are better than cucumbers.

2. Dogs are better than cats.

3. Bob Dylan does not have a nice singing voice.

4. George W. Bush was a bad president.

5. The Democratic party is better than the Republican party.

6. Donald Trump is an idiot.

7. The "Ku Klux Klan" is a stupid name for a hate group.

8. The fictional death eaters from J.K Rowling's "Harry Potter" series have some resemblance to the Nazi party.

9. "Inglorious Basterds" is a good movie and Christoph Waltz completely deserved the Oscar win for his role as the terrifying fictional character, Hans Landa.

10. If you voted for Trump you must be racist, a misogynist, etc.

Facts:

1. Tomatoes are scientifically classified as fruits.

2. About 44% of all American households own dogs and 35% own cats.

3. Bob Dylan's real name is Robert Zimmerman.

4. George W. Bush used to be a cheerleader.

5. Both the Democratic and Republican political parties are valid and respectful members of either party should be treated with equal respect by a members of a different party.

6. Donald Trump tweeted this:

7. The Ku Klux Klan is a hate group that promotes the ideology of 'Americanism' and targets African Americans, Mexicans, 'New Immigrants,' Asians, Jews, Catholics and any radical 'un-American' groups. It was founded in 1915 as a means of re-establishing white supremacy in the United States.

8. Nazism promotes the ideology that the Aryan race is superior to all others, that Jewish people need to be destroyed (also known as antisemitism) and is above all a racist party with a racist platform.

9. The 'Alternative Right' or 'Alt-Right' is just as much a white supremacist group as the KKK, don't let the name change fool you. "Their beliefs have been described as isolationist, protectionist, anti-semitic, and frequently overlapping with Neo-Nazism, nativism, Islamophobia, antifeminism, and homophobia."

10. Honestly, just because someone voted for Donald Trump, they are not inherently a bad person. Trump appealed to a lot of voters because he talks a big game and many who were unhappy with the Obama administration felt that voting for Trump would be a way to make their voices heard.

However, given the president's statement of, “There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for the country, but there are two sides to a story,” in response to the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia on August 11, it is clear that Trump has found it in his being to at least partially sympathize with a terrorist group.

Ponder these lists of facts and opinions for yourself, but I will leave you with this;