Disney's Most Underrated Films | The Odyssey Online

Disney's Most Underrated Films

Move aside "Little Mermaid", it's time for these masterpieces to shine

88
Disney's Most Underrated Films

My family didn't have cable when I was growing up. Instead, we had basically every Disney movie on VHS. Because of this, I have memorized every lyric, quote and score to every Disney movie. I'm not kidding. After so many years of watching these masterpieces, I've decided to list the most underrated Disney films that don't get enough love (in no particular order).

1. "The Aristocats"

Aside from the basic plot of aristocratic cats, this movie is such a classic. The music, the scenic design, it is brilliant. Not to mention we all were basically in love with Thomas O'Malley.

2. "The Sword in the Stone"

How could you not love this movie? Merlin and his owl Archimedes provide a hilarious duo of sarcasm and wit, and who could forget Archimedes' laugh? And Mad Madame Mim may be one of the most underrated villians of all time.

3. "Brave"

Strong, independent, hero Scottish girl. Such an amazing role model for young girls. And a movie to show the importance of the bond between a mother and daughter.

4. "Lady and the Tramp"

A story of love beating the odds and new horizons, Lady and the Tramp is the perfect movie for a rainy day. It's also great for when you need a Disney movie with minimum singing. Fun fact: it's the first Disney film where it was insinuated that the characters had sex. Gasp!

5. "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

I get chills every time I listen to The Bells of Notre Dame. The music in this movie is so genius. Taking it's place as one of the darkest films Disney has produced, it is one of the best. And Esmeralda is a complete badass.

6. "Oliver and Company"

Another cat movie! Add in New York City, a cool gang of dogs, and the cutest piano duet ever, this movie definitely deserves more recognition.

7. "The Jungle Book"

With the release of the live action film, "Jungle Book" is finally getting some attention, but this animated classic is still my favorite. The vast array of characters and the smooth sound of the music is more than enough to bring you back.

8. "Atlantis"

This movie was a bust for Disney, but in reality it is amazing. The animation, conception of "Atlantis", and diversity among the characters is brilliant. Plus, another good choice if you're not a Disney sing-along type of person.

9. "Treasure Planet"

The story of a rebellious teen looking for his purpose in life can relate to any college student, and the great script adds the cherry on top. Jim Hawkins isn't too bad looking either.

10. "WALL-E"

Basically, treat the planet with kindness before we all end up as dependent blobs in space and a robot has to save us. It's also the only movie in which a cockroach is actually cute.

11. "Hercules"

The Muses. Enough said.