Need To Know Dining Hall Hacks | The Odyssey Online

Need To Know Dining Hall Hacks

Surviving freshman year and the freshman meal plan.

18
Need To Know Dining Hall Hacks
Recipes Hubs

As sophomores, we dread the idea of having to endure yet another year of ingesting dining hall food. As freshman, you have no idea what you’re in for. The food here at the dining hall is decent but it is definitely not a sustainable choice of eating. And there are many reasons why. For example, the preservatives they put in the food to keep it fresh are very damaging to the stomach. You will constantly hear people complaining about their stomachs aches, and it’s all thanks to the wonderful dining hall food.

However, I figured out many tips on how to make your dining hall experience A LOT better than what it is planned out to be. As my first year as a freshman, I discovered innovative ways to handle, make and prepare my food at the dining hall. I found ways to make desserts more creative, and how to make life easier overall when you are deciding what to eat and how to eat it.

Hack Number One: The Salad Bowl

If you are making a salad, get two bowls instead of one. Put one under the other and prepare your salad with lettuce, toppings, and dressing. When you are seated, put the two plates (open face-up) on top of each other until they seal perfectly. You can then shake your salad so everything mixes together (and nothing flies out) and out comes a delectable, green creation.

Hack Number Two: Improving Your Coffee

The coffee here tastes like literal dirt but fear not!... There are ways to make it better. Behold the cappuccino machine. The cappuccino machine provides you with instant “coffee” (or as I like to call it, sugar and water) that’s warm and tastes quite good. Mix the cappuccino drink with the regular black coffee, so you can get a nice flavor to your morning beverage and also get the caffeine boost you need in order to start your day.

Hack Number Three: Cookie Sandwich

The dining hall actually provides us with really delicious desserts. They serve vegan and regular cookies, and I have never been disappointed. But again, there is always room for improvement. Put your cookie in the toaster. Then put a second cookie in the toaster. After their warmed up, go to the ice cream machine and smash the ice cream right in the middle of your two cookies; now you have made the Dining Hall Cookie Sandwich.

Hack Number Four: Getting the Right Bagel

Since sophomore year has started, I have only eaten bagels every single morning. Why, you may ask? Well first off, I really like bagels. Secondly, there is one particular bagel offered at this establishment that makes my mouth water. Get an everything bagel, toast it until it’s crunchy on the outer edges and soft inside. Get your cream cheese on the side, spread it, and enjoy.

Hack Number Five: Soup's Up

The dining hall serves these wonderfully delectable croutons that are sprinkled with spices. Putting these croutons in your hot soup and having the bread melt into the broth is the right way to make a boring appetizer into something that tastes so good, you might just get more and make it your meal.

Hack Number Six: Take The Bananas.

Self-explanatory. If you’re a banana lover (or apples, pears, oranges or even plums), you can take a bag into the dining hall and fill it up with your favorite portable fruit. Though it’s probably not allowed, you are paying for this food anyways, so might as well.

Hack Number Seven: Funky Cereal

Put chocolate milk in your cereal bowl instead of regular milk. Especially if the cereal you picked is already bland in taste.

Hack Number Eight: Get what Ya Paid For

Bouncing off the idea from number six, I notice many people bring their own plastic food containers and put things in it from fruit to dried cereal. If you think you may need a snack and don’t want to pay for extra food, bringing your own containers would be a really good idea.

Hack Number Nine: Be Appreciative

The staff at the dining hall works really hard to make sure that we are able to eat through out the day. Be nice to them, and they will be nice to you back. You never know… they might feel inclined to give you extra guac on your sandwich next time.

Hack Number Ten: The Loner

More times than not, I have gone to the dining hall by myself. If you think eating alone is awkward, you better change that idea in your head right now. In school, you really cannot control everybody’s schedules and it’s almost impossible to sync times with your friends to go eat at the dining hall. So, if you end up alone, bring headphones and your phone to listen to music OR bring your homework. The dining hall provides a nice ambiance that can be quite soothing while you focusing.