Different But Perfect: 'Moonlight' & 'La La Land' | The Odyssey Online

Different But Perfect: 'Moonlight' & 'La La Land'

A duel review of two of the best movies of 2016

15
La La Land

Based off of Tarell Alvin McCraney's semi-autobiographical play “In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue,” “Moonlight” is a gorgeous journey into the intense struggle of finding oneself. It's a complex tale that explores the hardships of being different in a time and place where being different is not smiled upon. “Moonlight” is one of the most artistic movie experiences of 21t century. It's proof that art house genre of film is finally seeping into the mainstream.

New up-and-comer director, Barry Jenkins, proves himself worthy to step up to the plate in the Hollywood community. He takes the story about growing up questioning your own sexuality where growing up in general is difficult and turns it into an passionate and evocative time capsule for those who are struggling with finding who they are. Not only that, but its beautiful tribute to the conflicts of living in an urban setting and rough household filled with drugs and abuse.

The three actors who play the main character, Chiron, are incredible. Alex Hibbert (child Chiron), Aston Sanders (teenage Chiron), Trevante Rhodes (adult Chiron) all make the character feel real, sympathetic, and vulnerable. However, it's tough not to mention the supporting cast. Mahershala Ali and Janelle Monáe play a charismatic couple who act as proper mother and father figures for Chiron. Naomie Harris plays Chiron's real mother who struggles with a heavy drug addiction and verbally abuses him. All of them play their parts stupendously with enough force and dedication to their roles.

“Moonlight” is simply art, no question about it. It's the type of art that all movie goers should have the chance to see as it is. It's a majestic film that everyone can look at and see themselves through a different lens.

“La La land” is a triumph for every hopeless romantic. A spellbinding story of love and dreams. A magical cinematic tale the 50s and 60s were never able to tell. You haven’t seen beautiful cinema until you’ve seen “La La Land.”

Filmed in CinemaScope, this film is tailor-made for the theater-going audience, with colorful and spanning cinematography by soon to be legend, Linus Sandgren, and glorious song and dance numbers by choreographer Mandy Moore and music by Justin Hurwitz. A HUGE applause goes to the costume and set designers, David Wasco, Austin Gorg, Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, and Mary Zophres, for their colorful and lavish efforts.

Damien Chazelle’s on his way to becoming one of the great modern day filmmakers with his brilliant writing and direction in “La La Land” fresh after his recent success, Whiplash, two years earlier. He makes the film look and feel like it was a gift for our cinephile hearts and minds. However, who can forget Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone’s intense and glamorous performances that truly captured the highs and lows of aspiring entertainers. They make the perfect movie couple.

“La La Land” is something to be dazzled and bewitched by. It’s a movie made for the movies. It’s a sign that magic of the cinema has never left and hopefully will never leave us. One of the best films of the 2016. One of the best films of the 21st century.

After watching both films, I can't exactly tell which one is the better movie, “La La Land” or “Moonlight.” Both are very different yet fantastic cinematic experiences. However, I do know one thing. “La La Land” is pure cinema and “Moonlight” is pure art.