Diet For Psoriasis: Best And Worst Food For Psoriasis

35

What is Psoriasis?

Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease that causes inflammation of the skin. Psoriasis can affect different body parts such as the scalp, elbows, toes, knees, genitals, armpits, and hands.

According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis also known as Ekakushta or Kitibha is classified under Kshudra Kushtha and an imbalance of Kapha Dosha and Vata Dosha leads to psoriasis. Consuming Apathya Ahara and Vihara increases the Dosha & Dhatu and causes Kitibha.

The Link Between Diet and Psoriasis

The symptoms of psoriasis can be managed by making a few dietary changes. There are numerous foods which can result in less severity of symptoms and can play a crucial role in lowering the likelihood of developing other symptoms.

The health of human being depends on the food that we consume, and indulgence in wrong food habits will result in diseases.

In Ayurveda, it is believed that the right food leads to a healthy body. We cannot ignore food as it helps sustain life and keep us healthy. Doshic imbalance in the body depends on the properties of food consumption.

Food To Avoid in Psoriasis

To reverse the disease as early as possible, changes in diet should be done by avoiding the foods and drinks that can aggravate the condition. Foods and beverages which have the opposite qualities of the disease help in faster recovery. These changes are explained in Ayurveda as Pathya.

In the treatment of psoriasis, there are some foods which should be avoided so as to relieve symptoms. Regular intake of incompatible (Viruddha Ahara) food can lead to several skin conditions.

Virudha means the opposite. The food substances that act incompatible with healthy body tissues (Dhatus) are known as Virudha Ahara. Regular consumption of these will change the normal functions of the body and leave them more prone to diseases. Virudha ahara can provoke the doshas and imbalance them.

The next factor in Food is Mithya Ahara. When an individual does not follow the proper diet and dietic rules then this improper diet is known as Mithya Ahara.

AtiAmla ( Excessive intake of Sour Substances)

It aggravates Kapha Dosha and Pitta Dosha. Hot in potency and cold in touch. When the sour taste is used in excess it liquefies Kapha, which results in itching, produces pallor, and Visarpa (a skin disease that can be related to blood).

Sour foods like Citrus fruits, such as grapefruit, lemons, and oranges, sauces like tomato sauce, excess intake of preserved foods,

can flare up the symptoms.

Lavana (Salt)

It aggravates Pitta Dosha and is hot in potency. When used in excess it produces a burning sensation, Visarpa (blood-related skin disease), Kitiba (psoriasis), rashes on the skin, increased wounds and reduced strength & immunity (Ojas).

Products which contain a high quantity of salt should be avoided such as pickles, bhelpuri, papad, chips, and Namkeen in excess quantity.

Katu (Pungent)

Pungent food such as Radish aggravates Vata dosha and Pitta Dosha and is hot in potency. When used in excess, it leads to weakness in the body and reduces strength. It can cause a severe burning sensation in the hands, feet, and back.

Milk (Dugda) and Curd (Dahi)

Milk and whey protein are the dairy products psoriasis patients should best avoid as they contain the protein 'casein'. It is sweet and remains sweet at the end of digestion, and increases Kapha Dosha, hard to digest.

Curd should also be avoided as it is difficult to digest and aggravates the Kapha Dosha. Different forms such as raita, and dahi vada, are mixed in curry especially after heating and in the autumn, and spring seasons should be avoided.

5. Alcohol (Madyapana or Madira)

There is a strong link between alcohol and psoriasis. Alcohol can be both an aggravating and initiating factor in inflammation.

Patients with psoriasis who over-consume alcohol, tend to have more severe inflammation, most often affecting the face, but also affecting the body's folds, such as the armpits, and groin.

6. Non-Vegetarian diet

It is best to avoid Non-Vegetarian Food as it can increase the inflammation of the skin and can worsen symptoms. Also, it should not be taken with incompatible food combinations like fish with milk is Virudha Ahara which can lead to skin conditions like psoriasis.

Food To Eat in Psoriasis

Psoriasis Ayurvedic Treatment inculcates a natural diet that can be obtained from natural sources and is easily available in our household. Food should be easily wholesome and digestible.

Fruits and Leafy Green Vegetables.

The simplest and most effective change in healing psoriasis is increasing the intake of fruit and vegetables. These vegetables provide the body with multivitamins and nutrients, which support the skin in its healing journey.

Each vegetable and fruit has its own specific benefit, but it is recommended to consume seasonal fruits like grapes, strawberries, and blueberries as well as vegetables like spinach, leafy green vegetables, and cauliflower.

Cow’s Desi Ghee (Clarified butter) and Buttermilk

A psoriasis treatment diet consists of Cow’s Ghee. It can miraculously cure the patches and itching of psoriasis. Ghee can improve the texture of the skin. Consuming Cow’s Ghee in meals as well as a local application on the skin can prove beneficial as it is used for thousands of years in curing skin diseases.

Buttermilk wonderfully helps in Ayurvedic treatment for psoriasis. The lactic acid present in buttermilk helps moisturise and reduce scaling on the skin. In this way, Buttermilk and Cow’s Ghee prove a boon for skin diseases as well as nourishes it.

Herbs

The ayurvedic diet for psoriasis includes the ayurvedic herbs that prove wonders for skin conditions. Few of them are as follows:

Neem (Nimba)

Nimba has antiseptic as well as anti-inflammatory properties which boost the healing of psoriasis. Neem is a natural blood purifier and a strong antifungal and antibacterial herb.

Aloe vera (Gwarpattha)

Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory and helps decrease redness and inflammation. It can be applied topically.

Rubia Cordifolia (Manjistha)

Manjistha is an effective herb anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant which is beneficial for the skin.

Turmeric (Haldi)

It is a healing herb for various disorders including skin and it is available in every household as well as it has anti-inflammatory properties.

Garlic (Lehsun)

Garlic has been used for its natural antibiotic properties for thousands of years as well as easily available in every kitchen. It can also prove useful for psoriasis patients.

Fresh Water and Herbal Tea (Kadha)

Drinking water to stay well hydrated is a simplistic solution to psoriasis. It is recommended to drink 7-8 glasses of fresh water each day.

Water is the main component of our cells and tissues as the human body is 60% water! So much water is excreted from the body in everyday activities like sweating and urinating.

Add fresh herbs like basil (Tulsi) leaves or mint (Pudina), and ginger (Adrak) in boiling water to make a herbal drink or kadha. In addition, adding herbal tea to a daily routine will be efficient in healing skin.

Gluten-free Flour

Add Gluten-free Flour to daily meals instead of wheat flour which proves to be beneficial in healing the skin. Food for psoriasis patients contains several grains such as Kodo Millet (Kodra) or Pearl millet (Bajra) which are nutritious.

Millet bread would be the best gluten-free bread option. Other grains such as Sorghum (Jowar), and Maize (Makki or corn), Ragi (Finger Millet) flour should be included by replacing Wheat Flour. These flour should not be mixed with each other.

Healthy Oils

Healthy oils consist of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory fatty acids. All oils are unhealthy for the skin, and some provide more omega-6 fatty acids.

Sesame Oil (Til ka tel)- The best Oil is Sesame Oil which is rich in vitamins B and E, and helps fade scars and soothe skin rashes. It is also very effective in treating skin conditions like inflammation.

Flaxseed oil (Alsi ka tel)- It is beneficial in psoriasis due to its omega-3 fatty acid content, and it removes toxic material from the body and reduces the inflammation of the skin as well as keeps skin hydrated.

Mustard Oil (Sarso ka tel)- It is one of the rich sources of Vitamin E and consists of antifungal and antibacterial properties. It helps hydrate the skin and reduces inflammation.

Olive oil (Jaitun ka tel)- It has anti-inflammatory properties, as well as it can calm irritated skin. Additionally, it can be consumed as well as if applied topically and can act as a great moisturiser. It contains Vitamin E and Omega -3 fatty acids which ease the symptoms of psoriasis. This oil cannot be used in cooking, but it is used in dressing salads.

The Takeaways

Several autoimmune conditions such as psoriasis can get immense benefits from dietary changes. The best Indian diet for Psoriasis includes plenty of vegetarian anti-inflammatory foods, such as fruits, vegetables, flour, herbs, Cow’s Desi Ghee and healthy oils.

Foods such as inflammatory foods should be avoided which are Non-Vegetarian diets, dairy products, alcohol, salty, sour, pungent and processed foods or junk food. These dietary changes can help to reduce the frequency and severity of psoriasis.

In the vast ocean of Ayurveda, the importance of Food is explained, as how to eat right and select suitable food when healthy and in illness.

Psoriasis Treatment Diet includes various items which are available in household items and understanding the principles of traditional Ayurveda and adopting them in routine will help to combat various diseases.

There is individual instruction which depends on the Prakriti of the patient. Following the ayurvedic diet plan for psoriasis will help to heal psoriasis faster. Hence, Adopting Ayurveda in our daily life will boost immunity and help in staying disease free.