'Die Hard' Is One Of The Most Hardcore Christmas Movies You Should Watch This Holiday Season | The Odyssey Online

'Die Hard' Is One Of The Most Hardcore Christmas Movies You Should Watch This Holiday Season

Welcome to the party, pal.

309
20th Century Fox

Since it has been recently added to the National Film Registry I thought it was a great week to write about the 1988 action flick “Die Hard." "Die Hard" is one of my personal favorite movies of all time, it has such an iconic take on the action genre and also functions as a great Christmas/Holiday movie. I wouldn’t say it’s been debated whether this is a Christmas movie or not over the years, but the subject has sparked so much conversation. While it’s not your traditional Christmas movie, there’s an argument to be made that the best time to watch it is during the holiday season when the lights and tree are up at home.

“Die Hard” is set in a high-rise office building in Los Angeles on Christmas Eve. During the annual holiday party for the Nakatomi company, German terrorists take over the building and hold the partygoers hostage. Little do they know that badass John McClane (Bruce Willis) is in the building with them. Bruce Willis plays a cop from NYC in town to see his ex-wife and children for the holidays. While the terrorists secure their positions around the building, John McClane (hidden in the bathroom at the time the terrorists took over) manages to sneak away and devise a plan of his own to get help, and that’s just the beginning of the wild ride he's in for.

This movie escalated the “One man vs. an army” trope to the highest degree. I believe “Die Hard” does it best and every iteration of this trope since has only tried to live up to what John McClane established. John McClane is completely isolated but immediately kicks it into high gear with his police skills to take out the terrorists one by one. The situation gets more and more serious as you learn what the terrorists' true intentions are.

The head terrorist is played by the late Alan Rickman, famously known as Severus Snape from the “Harry Potter” movies. Not many people know that this was Rickman’s first acting role ever! He plays the role of Hans Gruber so well and with such menace in his tone, his ability to equally face off against Bruce Willis showcase his skills as an actor. Every scene with him is perfectly executed and while McClane seems to always be one step ahead of the terrorists...Hans Gruber reacts swiftly and with force that there’s a constant change in the power dynamics of this hostage situation.

I would say the movie falls a little short once the entire LAPD learns of this hostage situation and tries to take care of it themselves. This is when the movie starts to fall away from “one man vs. everyone” but these moments in the movie still add to the tense plot. Over the radio, McClane befriends patrolman Al Powell, a lovable cop who finds himself dragged into this whole mess similar to McClane. They have great rapport throughout the whole movie despite not meeting face-to-face until the end. The early scenes between them over the radio

Now onto the Christmas angle. There's no doubt that this should be considered a "Christmas movie." It's all in how the film is set, I watch it every December. The setting of the movie takes place on Christmas Eve and the holiday is mentioned many times, certain plot points of the movie are Christmas-related as well. However, this is a hardcore R-rated action movie. There is a lot of blood and some disturbing moments that might... NOT feel entirely Christmas-y.

However, the movie as a whole tells a really intense story that takes place on what’s recognized as a peaceful and family-oriented holiday. Seeing bloodied henchman frightfully shoot machine guns across the hallway while “Carol of the Bells” hums in the background has this unique aesthetic to it. One of the best reveals of the movie even has a Christmas reference on it.

If that’s not enough, the movie ends with the delightful Christmas song “Let It Snow.” You’re filled with warmth and triumph after sitting through 2 hours of John McClane almost dying like ten times but battling the odds and fighting to protect people. In addition to being intense and enjoyable it has a very satisfying ending. Every brave and bold move John did during the hostage situation pays off by the end and all the jackass characters get their comuppance. If you haven’t seen “Die Hard” go watch it right now with some hot chocolate and Christmas lights up in the room.

Oh, and like always Hollywood decided to make a franchise out of “Die Hard” and ruin the character of John McClane. If you liked the first “Die Hard” then I strongly recommend “Die Hard 2: Die Harder” and “Die Hard with a Vengeance.” The 2nd and the 3rd movies are the only sequels worth mentioning, the remaining two completely changed the course of how these movies, turning the plots into global-scale issues rather than being character-driven and focused.

The good “Die Hard” movies include grand, violent situations in smaller, more confined locations like an airport or an office building. The feeling of being trapped and alone is essential in a “Die Hard” movie and they most definitely steered away from that as the franchise continued.