16 Reasons Why Long Island Really is The Best Place On Earth

My hometown is better than your hometown.

999

I am a born and raised Long Island girl. I have lived in Suffolk County my entire life and, needless to say, I find Long Island to be one of the absolute best places on Earth. However, in going away to college, I have come to realize that there are some things that non-Long Islanders just don't understand about the magical place that I get to call home. But those of us who are lucky enough to be "Lawn Guyland" natives know that there is a lot more to LI than meets the eye.

1. Long Island summers

If you are from Long Island, there should be no surprise as to why I put Long Island summers first on the list. There is absolutely nothing quite like a warm, sunny day in the middle of July spent on Long Island -- let alone an entire summer. There is always something to do and there is always something to see, which is what makes a summer spent on the Island a summer very well spent.

2. The beaches

Part of what makes Long Island summers so great are the beaches. There are the big beaches, like Robert Moses and Jones Beach, and then there are the smaller beaches, like Lido and Huntington Town Beach, that are literally everywhere (Long Island is an island after all).

3. Bagels

Not even a New York City bagel can compare to a real, Long Island bagel. Whether you are like me and owe your life (and then some) to Town Bagel, or you prefer a nice morning trip to Bagel Biz, a true Islander knows that nothing cures a hangover quite like a BEC and an iced coffee from your favorite bagel store.

4. Montauk

If you travel out east as far as you can, you will stumble upon one of the Long Island's greatest treasures: Montauk.

5. The Hamptons

The best part about the North Shore is the Hamptons. Whether you are visiting one of the many vineyards, admiring the beautiful summer homes, or splurging at LF or DASH, there is always something to do.

6. Boardy Barn

Another thing that makes the Hamptons so great is the Boardy Barn -- the summer Sunday institution. It's a huge tent party where there is music blasting, beer flowing, and people covered head to toe in smiley face stickers.

7. The Long Island Railroad

Every Long Islander has a love-hate relationship with the LIRR. Despite the fact that your train is never actually on time, and the fact that you are, undoubtedly, going to run into everyone and their mother while on board, it is actually a pretty convenient way to travel. Not to mention, it is the fastest way to get into everyone's favorite city.

8. Cold cheese pizza

Cold. Cheese. Pizza. If you are not already salivating at the thought of it, you and I probably would never get along. It is the best drunk food. It is the best sober food. It is pretty much the best food. Period. #LittleVincents.

9. Diners and bakeries

I think the thing that I have missed the most every time that I've left the island is the abundance of diners that LI has spoiled me with my whole life. Everyone knows that there is nothing quite like a late-night diner run for a milkshake and some cheese fries or a quick trip to the diner when you are craving an epic breakfast. In addition to that, there is nothing quite comparable to the bakeries that are on Long Island.

10. Lacrosse

There must be something in the water because if you are from Long Island there is a 100 percent chance that at one point or another in your life you picked up a lacrosse stick and tried to learn how to play. There is also a 100 percent chance that you or someone you know (or know of) got recruited to play lax in college as early as 11th grade.

11. Ralph's Italian Ices

I feel bad for the people who will never get to experience a rainbow cookie cream ice from Ralph's.

12. Sweet 16's

The Sweet 16's on Long Island are more extravagant than some people's weddings. And although that might sound absolutely ridiculous, Sweet 16's are also insanely fun.

13. Bar and Bat Mitzvahs

Bar and Bat Mitzvahs are easily the most sober fun that you will ever have; and if you grew up on Long Island, chances are you went to about 150 parties throughout middle school.

14. Camp friends

If you grew up on Long Island, there is a pretty solid chance that you have camp friends; and everyone knows that camp friends are the best friends.

15. Jewish geography

You don't have to be Jewish to play Jewish geography. I'm not, and it's easily one of my favorite games. If you are from Long Island, there is a chance that you have about five mutual friends with every single person you meet (shout out to camp friends for making this possible). You always know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone's ex-boyfriend's best friend from childhood -- which always makes even the most awkward of conversations run a little smoother.

16. The accent

Some people may not see this as one of the best things about Long Island, but I sure do. When I first meet someone, they can always tell where I'm from because of the way I talk. I'm proud of where I'm from, so I'm glad I can rep my hometown with my accent even when I'm miles and miles away.