Defy Their Expectations And Don't Ever Be Ashamed Of Working On Your Own

We often face criticisms when we begin putting ourselves first; it's time to stop feeling ashamed of not living up to the world's expectations of us, and time to start encouraging working on our own expectations for ourselves.

58
Meagan Bloxdorf

From the day we are born, we are immediately thrown into the vast, ever-changing world of the million expectations that we're supposed to fall accustomed to. This ranges from the way we're taught to act when in the presence of different people and their professions, the way we celebrate religion, the way we present ourselves to the public, the proper expectation of 'boy' or 'girl', the correct way to dress in order to not create a distraction or the way we communicate and interact with the opposite sex. Most importantly, our expectations on how we should act and contribute to society -- like going to school and doing well in college in order to get a 'real' job and creating a family to do the same in the future. The amount of countless expectations we face each day is enough to stress anyone out just thinking about it.

But who creates these expectations we so stubbornly cling to? Is it our family, our friends, the media, the educational system, the government, all of the above? Regardless of where it comes from, it's evident that everyone and everything forms some kind of expectation that we have to live up to. However, the only expectation that truly matters is your own.

As we grow older and learn more about ourselves the world around us, sometimes we can feel ourselves shaping into something that we never wanted or never thought we'd see ourselves doing. When we focus on the expectations that others provide for us, we tend to lose sight of our own. In reality, if we pay attention to our own goals and expectations we want for ourselves, then we might actually see a positive shift and change in our life. When we start working more on improving ourselves and our mindset by putting our choices, wants and ourselves in life first, we stop feeling guilty of not following up to the world's expectation of you. And we should never have to feel burdened that we're not living up to another person's expectations of us as it only hinders our own personal progress. Instead, we need to put that focus into improving ourselves and doing what we want for ourselves in order to have a fulfilling life.

We should never feel ashamed or hesitant about chasing after our own expectations and goals for ourselves that come before all else. We have to be honest with ourselves and do what we need to do for us and not anyone else. You are your main priority. It is only after we begin to listen and follow our individuality as a person and help ourselves do we begin to feel significant and fulfilled, and only then can we help others to be their best and to feel purposeful and happy with themselves and where they are in life. It's hard to defy the odds and not do what's expected of you, which is why we need to stop criticizing others and making people feel ashamed for striving after their own goals and having their own expectations for themselves to follow, and instead encourage them to make their own choices and be supportive of everything they're working towards. After all, it is their life, why let what someone else is doing for themselves bother and affect you and your life so much?

Accept people for who they are and what they're doing to better themselves even if it makes you mad because in all reality it doesn't matter if what someone is or is not doing isn't meeting someone else's expectation; it only matters if they're meeting their own expectations because someone staying true to themselves is far better and far more rewarding than anything you could expect out of them.