A Definitive Ranking of Harry Potter's 20 Most Savage Moments

Happy Birthday to The Boy Who Sassed.

943
Harry Potter Wiki

As Harry Potter's birthday draws near, we should take a moment to look back on all of the wonderful things about him that make readers love him. His heroism, his immense bravery, his love and loyalty for his friends. And, of course, his sass.

Harry James Potter is quite possibly the snarkiest character in the entire book series, and he frankly does not get enough credit for it. So here is a definitive ranking of his most savage moments, from both the movies and the books. Happy Birthday, you clapback king.

20. On the Unbreakable Vow:

Even his own best friend isn't spared from the Potter snark.

19. Sarcasm in Defense Against the Dark Arts

When Dolores Umbridge asks the class, "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?" Harry replies with:

This is why he gets so many detentions.

18. Explaining What an Interview Is

So extra, both the comment and the fact that he essentially chucked a magazine at a professor's face. He gets a week of detentions for this, but it was worth it.

17. On the Topic of Professor Quirrell

(Yet another dig aimed at Umbridge):

And Harry would know. Both Quirrell and the back of his head tried to kill Harry once, so Umbridge can just back off, thanks.

16. On Having a Difficult Life

This said in response to Hermione, who probably did not appreciate the backtalk.

15. Spectacular

He's an orphaned war survivor, who is competing in an advanced wizarding competition at the age of fourteen because someone is desperately trying to kill him and also he has the worst haircut ever in this movie, so yeah, he's feeling "spectacular."

14. Draco's a Git

Simple, creative, elegant. 10/10 would use this clapback again.

13. He Really Doesn't Care

Wins first prize for most relatable gif in this article.

12. The News Changes Every Day, You Know

If anyone deserves snark, it's Vernon Dursley. You go, HP.

13. Attaching an Extra Arm

Of all his comebacks aimed at Malfoy (and there are legit so many to chose from) this one is probably the most creative, so points for that. Harry probably got a lot of practice after years of dealing with Draco.

10. Bubble Juice

Harry doesn't even say anything scathing here, but it's all in the delivery. That weary, half eye roll, that total done-ness in his facial expression. So savage.

9. Legit Saying Dudley's Face is Worse than Sewage

Harry might be a Gryffindor, but even he's not brave enough to stick around when he's delivered a sick burn like that.

8. Reading Aloud the Marauder Map's Insults to Snape

So, no, Harry was not actually the creator of these digs, the most iconic insults in the series. But he was the one who got to say them to Snape's face, so it sorta counts. And you know he meant every word of it.

7. About Narcissa Malfoy

The magical version of a Yo' Mama joke.

6. The First Ever Draco Burn

After introducing himself, Draco says, "You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Then he sticks out his hand for a shake, but Harry doesn't take it, and instead, says:

Daaaaaang, Malfoy just got burned in front of all of his future classmates. Solid start, Potter.

5. Sassing the Literal Minister of Magic

Said to Cornelius Fudge when the Minister comes to Harry for help, even though he made Harry's life miserable for an entire year. If there's ever a time to drag the leader of your government, Harry's found it.

4. To Narcissa Malfoy

Harry can't stop at insulting Draco Malfoy, he has to come for the entire family.

3. Rita Skeeter's Last Word

Iconic. Not quite as savage as when Hermione traps Rita Skeeter in a jar as a beetle and keeps her hostage before blackmailing her, but it definitely comes close.

2. The End of Umbridge

The moment when everyone watching the movie cheers.

1. And at last, the Grand Finale of Sass, the Best Snark Harry James Potter has ever dished out:

Here's to 37 years of iconic comebacks and taking nobody's crap. Happy Birthday, Harry.