​Can’t Decide On Your Major? | The Odyssey Online

​Can’t Decide On Your Major?

When every one is traveling the main path, take the path less traveled

9
​Can’t Decide On Your Major?
Charles Williams

So you are a Junior or Senior in high school, and everybody is starting to really push you to decide on what you do with your life. However, you can’t decide on what you want to do. DO NOT STRESS ABOUT IT! You do not have to decide on your major right away. As a matter of fact, I highly discourage picking your major before you have been in college for a little while.

Unless you have known what you wanted to major in for as long as you remember, there is no hurry to decide. As a college student, I am in my fourth year of being in college. However, I am no where near graduating like most fourth year students. Why? Because I have changed my major multiple times. Three to be exact. I spent my first two years as a Pre-Med student, my third year as and English Education student, and am now a Criminal Justice student. While I do wish that I hadn’t wasted so much time taking courses I no longer need, I am glad that I took the time to truly find my calling.

Part of the reason that I have had to change my major is because of the fact that I got pushed into choosing my major too early in life. As a Junior in high school, my friends and family were always asking what I wanted to major in. I finally chose one just so I had something to tell them. I chose wrong. And because of that I learned a lot about myself. Which is something that I believe everyone should get a chance to do before deciding on what they want to do with their lives.

When you finally get to college, take a wide variety of classes to see what interests you. Take a mixture of science, english, math, theater, music, communications, law, history and etc. depending on your interests. If I had taken a college chemistry class before beginning in pre-med I would have known, it wasn’t for me. But instead I didn’t. And you shouldn’t either!

So take classes that interest you, take the things that make you happy and see if you want to do it for the rest of your life. Don’t get pressured into choosing your major early unless you are 100% sure that it is what you want to do for the rest of your life. If you know what you want to do, then you don’t have to worry about it. But if you don’t then take the time to really discover your passion. But whatever you decide to do, make sure that you are going to enjoy it no matter what!