Dear Walt

Dear Walt

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing: that it was all started by a mouse."

96
Dear Walt
PMC Variety

I go to Disney World several times a year, and I've been to the Disneyland Resort four or five times now. Each time, I worry that it will be less special, less magical. Each time, I worry I'll be too grown up to really enjoy it. But it never fails -- my heart always soars when I see the castle and I always feel home somehow when I see the Partners' statue. And one time, Elsa walked by and waved at me. It was awesome.

However, before "Disney" referred to a company featuring five widely popular parks / resorts and thousands of employees, before it even had one park and one employee, before it was a money-making powerhouse, before there was even any money, it was someone's name.

Walt Disney's name. And it's him I have to thank for creating such an incredible place that encourages everyone's hopes, wishes and biggest dreams.

"...it was all started by a mouse."

Dear Walt,

I don't think there are enough words in the world to describe the mark you've left not only on countless hearts around the world, but also on the world itself. Somehow, you defeated the one thing many people fear most: growing old. You took a swamp in the middle of nowhere and laid the foundation for a place overflowing with magic and dreams. A place where, every night, the Blue Fairy and Jiminy Cricket conduct a ceremony of wishes, and Mickey defeats the bad guys with the power of his dreams. Thousands of people surround Cinderella's castle, you and Mickey, and they wish together. Not many humans have left behind such a tangible legacy.

I wish you could be here to see all of the amazing work that has followed in your footsteps. I can't speak for you, but I think you would be delighted with the new animation techniques and the way we are able to craft the parks' rides now. You should see Orlando's Magic Kingdom. It's ever-growing and changing using the land you set aside for it. EPCOT couldn't be completed (10:20) without you, but what they've done with it is so special. And your dream of a real-life safari where the animals were close up came true in the Animal Kingdom. You'd really, really love it.

What you've done for the world has provided endless inspiration and hope for every generation that emerges. Your passion for innovation and technology has continued to be brought to life. I can't thank you enough for what "Disney" has done for me. It gave me my childhood, prompted my desire to write and create, and I hope it will continue to shape my future, too. When I feel like I've failed, I think about you running your paper route, crunching money in your first studio or how you must have felt when the rides didn't operate on Disneyland's opening day. Nothing stopped you, nothing held you back. Your drive has inspired me more than I could have ever hoped.

I never knew you, but I feel like I hold just a tiny piece of pixie dust from having walked where you walked and having enjoyed the things you created. Each time I sit down in the Tiki Room or hear Jiminy sing, I know you're still around. It makes me so happy that people are still flocking to the parks and the movies and finding themselves and their childhoods again. I can't wait to see what else is in store for such a magical legacy!

Thank you for everything,

Laney

“To all who come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

If you're interested (I hope I sparked at least a little more appreciation or curiosity for Walt than you had before), this is a video of Walt's speech from Disneyland's opening in 1955.