Dear Veterans Health Administration

Dear Veterans Health Administration

You actually suck.

11
Dear Veterans Health Administration
www.inquisitr.com

First of all, I have two words for you, Veterans Administration. Agent Orange. Most people don't learn about Agent Orange in school, and there's probably a reason. For those of you that don't know about Agent Orange, learn more about it here and learn about the diseases associated with it here and here.

A couple of months ago, I wrote an article about what is was like to live with a disabled veteran (check it out here). While I talked briefly about my father's disabilities, I didn't mention that my father was one of the many servicemen affected by Agent Orange. He was a mechanic in the USAF during the Vietnam War who worked on the planes that carried this awful substance and because of this he suffered from soft tissue sarcoma in his shoulder, which, thankfully, was able to be removed surgically; and is currently suffering from type two diabetes, hearing loss, and many problems with his central nervous system. He had a stroke, which led to them finding an excessive amount of spinal fluid on his brain. They had to put a shunt in to help drain the fluid, but if it isn't adjusted every so often, it either drains too much or too little and causes my father to lie in bed for hours on end with stabbing headaches. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm even more proud to be the daughter of a United States Air Force veteran.

So, Veterans Administration, when my father reported these problems to you so that he could draw disability because HE IS UNABLE TO WORK DUE TO THESE HEALTH ISSUES, you told him that he had to prove he was there. He did. He sent you his military records, proving that he was stationed in Southeast Asia. You told him that wasn't enough proof and that you wanted a photograph proving he was there. When he sent the photograph, you called him a liar and said that it could've been taken anywhere. Your mission statement literally says, "To fulfill President Lincoln's promise “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans." Does denying all factual evidence that one of your country's servicemen was stationed where he was exposed to harmful chemicals, causing him to have a terrible quality of life because he can't work sound like you're serving and honoring him, VA? Because to me, it sounds like you're just destroying another veteran's life to save your face. My father doesn't draw near enough disability to match all the problems he has because of the service. If he could work, he would. But if you would actually open your eyes to see the shape he is in, you'd understand he can't. But he has a family to support. And that's the only way he can.

Let's talk about why it took my father three months, THREE MONTHS, to GET an appointment , and another SEVERAL WEEKS, to BE SEEN by a doctor for his sleep apnea? My father literally quits breathing in his sleep, and it took him almost FOUR MONTHS to get an appointment so a doctor could tell him what he already knew and for him to get a CPAP machine to help him sleep. Or let's talk about the fact that he is seen ONCE A YEAR for his shunt, when he should be seen EVERY SIX MONTHSto make sure the drainage level is adjusted properly. HE LITERALLY HAS HAD TO TAKE A MAGNET AND TRY TO ADJUST IT HIMSELF SO HIS HEADACHES WOULD STOP BECAUSE YOU WOULDN'T MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A DOCTOR TO SEE HIM.

Your employees are incompetent. In Louisiana, a VA nursing assistant is still employed while she awaits trial on manslaughter charges in the death of a 70-year-old Air Force veteran in 2013. Hospital officials initially said the veteran’s death was an accident, but a coroner determined the veteran died from blunt force trauma to the head. Due to your lack of supervision, failure to train your employees and your weak management controls, there is scheduling mismanagement which leads to extended wait times for veterans who are dying. You lie and change your waiting list data to make you look better. You make it say that veterans were seen in a timely manner, when in reality, they weren't seen at all.

Men and women are risking their lives to fight for our country, and when they come back, they deserve the best healthcare they can possibly receive. So, VA, why don't you give it to them? Why don't you stop worrying about who's wearing what and pay attention to the note on their chart that says "Return for followup every six months" and make their appointments accordingly. NOT A YEAR LATER. Quit paying attention to your phone and pay attention to the patient who is lying in the hospital bed and having difficulty breathing. It's time you step up, get it together, and provide to best healthcare possible for these veterans. Because people are dying, and the blood is on your hands. My father's quality of life has been shit for the past ten years. He won't go see doctors covered by his own personal insurance. Why? Because he appreciates the fact that you, VA, were put into place to help people like him. Veterans coming back from service who need help. Help that clearly you don't know how to give. Thank you, VA. Thank you for ruining my father's life.