Dear Friend, You Need To Know | The Odyssey Online

Dear Friend, You Need To Know

I only want the best for you

20
Dear Friend, You Need To Know
Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Hemophilia Foundation

Dear Friend,

I know that you're so in love or maybe you're going through a breakup, whatever it is I think there is something you need to know.....

Eventually you are going to have to learn that you have to fall in love with the person you see in the mirror and not the person next to you. Not with the person that gives you butterflies or the person that makes your stomach ache when you see them in a distance or when their name pops up on your screen. No, not that person! Fall for the one that lifts you up when you have been crying on the bathroom floor, questioning why you weren’t good enough. The one that is always with you. The one that hugs you when you cry yourself to sleep. The one that comforts you and at the same time destroys you. You need to fall in love with the one you get mad at when the whole world is crashing down. You need to fall in love with the creature whose reflection is always with you. Whose shadow follows you when the sun rises but disappears, never to leave when it sets. Yes, even with the one that tells you lies late at night when the whole world is sleeping. Don’t be scared to spend hours with this person. Learn to fall in love with…..yourself. Fall in love with your flaws and see them as perfections. Fall in love with your strengths and make new ones. Even fall in love with your weaknesses. Fall in love with your stories. Your eyes. Your skin. Your hair. Your mind. Your body. Fall in love with who you are. Why?

Because at the end of the day you are all you have. You are the one that is going to pick yourself up when you’re down. You’re the one that knows your deepest secrets and doesn’t say a word. You’re the one that is there for yourself when no one else it. It’s not a bad thing. Know yourself and know your worth. You’re perfect and it just takes time to realize it. If you know yourself and know your worth, you won’t care about what others think because you know the struggles you’re facing. You know about the daily battles you have to convince yourself to get out of bed and give the world a fake smile or not. Love yourself. Not so you can eventually find someone. No. Love yourself so that if you do find someone, but it doesn’t work out you can still be happy. Of course you will not be the same person but you will be stronger than ever before. I promise. You’re not alone. I battle daily to love myself, but every day I fall deeper in love. I'm always learning something new about myself. You can as well.

It’s okay to put yourself before others. Put your health before everyone. Is it selfish? It might be, but tell me what good are you to those you love if you’re dead? What good are you to yourself if you lose your mind? At the end of the day, as sad as it sounds, they will leave you. You will die and they will continue to live their lives. So what should you do? Love yourself. Love yourself enough to know that you should not lose your mental health for anyone. You should not risk your physical health to please others. They really do not care. So put yourself before others. Love yourself enough to lose people that only bring negativity to your life. This does not mean that you should be extremely selfish. No. Learn how to balance things and be kind to others, to an extent. Why? Because they are battling the same battle you are right now, learning to love themselves. It isn’t easy. You truly are your worst critic. But just as you give other people chances, give yourself more chances than you would give someone else.

Be kind to yourself. Be loving to the person that picks you up when you’re down. Don’t be angry with yourself for a long time, you don’t deserve it. Don’t be sad all the time, because you’re only mentally hurting yourself. I know happiness isn’t eternal. It’s temporary, but that does not mean you don’t deserve to be happy. Stop beating yourself up over situations you cannot control and do not blame others. Know that they are human and make mistakes, but there is always some good in people. Sooner or later they are going to have to take the weight that you placed on your shoulders. Be happy and fall in love with yourself. Even if you think no one will love you, then with even more reason to love yourself. Treat yo self. Give love to your parents and family members. They’re not eternal and will die, so love them while you still can. Don’t waste your time being unhappy over insignificant things, because you’ll look back and realize it was a terrible mistake. Don't do it. Allow yourself to grow and change. You do not have to be the same person you were even a minute ago. You have absolutely no control over what people think of you, but you have the power to control what you think of yourself daily. Be your own friend…..

"…And I said to my body, softly. ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath and replied, ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this’."

After all it’s waiting for you to take care of it. When you’re all alone and life gets tough, you’re stronger than you know. You know yourself better than anyone else, despite what they may say, so love yourself. This will make you stronger and happier. So this is something….

You Need To Know.

With much love,

Your friend