17 Icons We Sadly Lost In 2016 | The Odyssey Online

17 Icons We Sadly Lost In 2016

Dear 2017: stop killing our idols.

25
17 Icons We Sadly Lost In 2016
Twitter//christhebarker

Oh, 2016. You were a cruel year.

We could have never expected so many of our idols to be taken from us in such a short span of time, but somehow this year managed to do that. This year has to have been one of the worst years in history for celebrities, as it seemed like every day we were losing another icon. It's never easy saying goodbye to someone, whether it be someone we know personally or someone who we look up to. I would like to speak for everyone when I ask 2017 to not follow in 2016's footsteps and keep our idols safe. So as we move into a new year, I'd like to remember some of the celebrities we lost in 2016. These celebrities were larger than life, and their impact on the world and our culture will never be forgotten.

David Bowie

David Bowie left us in the same way he had arrived. Always mysterious, the glam rocker never failed to make his mark with his music and influences outside of music.

Alan Rickman

Alan Rickman will forever be remembered to Harry Potterfans as Professor Snape, but his gifted acting talent expanded beyond the silver screen and into other things such as Broadway.

Phife Dawg

As a member of "A Tribe Called Quest", Phife Dawg gave the world the gift of his music and knowledge of our society. Thank you 4 your service, Phife. We got it from here.

Prince

Prince revolutionized the music industry like no other. His influences on the world of fashion and music made him one of the most important figures in music history.

Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali is without a doubt the most legendary boxer of all time. His name is a household name. In the ring, he floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee, and will never be forgotten for his contributions to the world.

Gordie Howe

Gordie Howe isn't known as "Mr. Hockey" for nothing. The second highest point scorer of all time, Howe led the Detroit Red Wings for many years, and will go down as one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt is without a doubt the greatest coach in the history of Women's basketball, amassing 1,098 wins over her almost 40 year coaching career with the Tennessee Lady Vols.

Kenny Baker

Kenny Baker is best known as his role as R2-D2 in the Star Wars franchise. R2-D2 is one of the most beloved characters of all time, and Baker was the reason the character was brought to life.

Gene Wilder

Gene Wilder will forever be known for his roles in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and Young Frankenstein, creating magical memories for everyone who has seen the films. My childhood would definitely not be the same without Willy Wonka.

Jose Fernandez

The tragedy of Jose Fernandez shocked the world. Jose was the future of baseball, a young star who was one of the best pitchers the game had seen in years. The talents and charitable contributions from this young man will be missed greatly.

Arnold Palmer

Arnold Palmer was a golfing icon, a man who brought so much to the sport in terms of personality and talent. A winner on and off the course, Palmer has left his mark on the world (and has had a drink named after him, too).

Leonard Cohen

Everyone has heard Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". Cohen was never shy to implement his beliefs into his art, and as a reward for his contributions, Cohen is recognized as one of the best songwriters of all time.

Florence Henderson

Known for her role as Carol Brady in The Brady Bunch, Florence Henderson is one of the most recognizable TV mothers of all time. Florence also hosted her own talk show and cooking show, as well as appeared as a contestant on Dancing With The Stars.

John Glenn

John Glenn is the definition of an American hero. One of the most famous astronauts to ever grace the Earth (and space), Glenn was the first American astronaut to orbit the the Earth. Glenn also served time in the US Military and was a US Senator.

Craig Sager

His fashion was eccentric, his voice was golden. Craig Sager is one of the most recognizable sports commentators in history, best known for working as a sideline reporter for the NBA.

George Michael

As a member of the musical duo "Wham!", George Michael contributed to the creation of hits such as "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and "Last Christmas", and sold more than 100 million albums worldwide over his career.

Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher was our hope. She showed us that women can be strong, and she was an inspiration for many little girls with her role as Princess Leia in Star Wars. An advocate for mental health her whole life, Carrie truly was a one of a kind individual.