Your Guide To The Perfect Day Trip In Santa Barbara

100 Miles Away, 100% Worth It

48

I've been blessed with not having classes on Fridays this semester so I've decided to utilize these days to go on trips to local California destinations. Santa Barbara might seem far to go just for a day but I still got an awesome taste of the historic beach town and got to see one of my best friends who goes to the University of Southern California, Santa Barbara. Here's a tourists guide for a day trip to Santa Barbara.

State Street

Located in Downtown Santa Barbara, State Street is a major shopping and dining hot spot. From big chain stores like Victoria's Secret or Kitson to smaller boutique's like Natasha's Boutique and DIANI Shoes, there are plenty of shops for everyone. The streets will most likely be packed with people shopping, brunching or just walking around enjoying the beautiful Santa Barbara sunshine. There is also a medley of restaurants and bakeries as well as museums and movie theaters dotted throughout State Street. If you plan enough ahead you could even try to visit Salt, a unique attraction which allows visitors to experience the benefits of Himalayan Salt through a massage, meditation or yoga session in an actual Himalayan Salt Cave.

Goleta & Isla Vista

Goleta is a southern city located in Santa Barbara County while Isla Vista is an unincorporated community in Goleta. Dotted with sorority and fraternity houses as well as other student-filled apartments and houses, Goleta is bustling with college students and college life. There are several entrances to the beach where you can read, play in the water or go surfing. After watching the gorgeous sunset, you can head to dinner at one of the many options like Sushiya, FreeBirds, Hana Kitchen or Jimmy John's. Goleta and IV are also adjacent to the UCSB Campus which itself is a beautiful place to spend time in Santa Barbara.

Wine Tasting

Santa Barbara is known for its regional vineyards that produce award-winning wines. Locals and tourists alike can enjoy winery tours, wine tasting, wine festivals, and winemaker's dinners throughout the year. The easiest way to experience a wide variety of Santa Barbara's finest wines is to download the map for the Urban Wine Trail and walk around Downtown.

I know what you're thinking "I can go shopping on the Santa Monica Promenade, tan at Zuma, Will Rodgers or Manhattan Beach and drink at bars on Abbot Kinney, I don't need to drive 2 hours awa.y. As someone who was born and raised in LA I totally understand the "LA is the best place in the world" mentality, but Santa Barbara is such a relaxed, unique beach city that you have to experience it, even just for a day.