40 Professions You Can Pursue With A Dance Degree | The Odyssey Online

40 Professions You Can Pursue With A Dance Degree

.

226

(Because there are many options in the dance field to fit a dancers' needs)

A couple may require more than a Bachelor's degree in dance or an extra certification

1. Performer

Source: playandgo.com.au

Dance Performers perform for jobs such as dance companies, broadway, off-broadway, cruise ships, backup dancers for musical artists, music video dancers, sports dance teams, dance theatre, competitions, etc.

2. Choreographer

Source: dreams.metroeve.com

Choreographers create dance movements for dance performances, pieces, and/or phrases under their own creative mindset and interpretations of the wide range of dance styles.

3. Dance Professor

Source: mmm.edu

Dance Professors teach college dance major or minor students any of the topics under dance performance and technique, choreography, and dance education.

4. Dance Teacher

Source: blog.discountdance.com

Dance Teachers teach any style ranging from ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, modern, contemporary, lyrical, aerial, acrobatic, heels, creative movement, improvisation, etc. to students in dance studios, elementary/middle/high schools, or after-school programs.

5. Dance Fitness Coach/Personal Trainer

Source: dreamstime.com

Dance Fitness Coaches or Personal Trainers help train students' bodies to become more fit with the help of dance cardio, fitness, and exercise classes.

6. Dance Health & Nutrition Specialist

Sources: verywellfit.com and medium.com

Dance Health & Nutrition Specialists promote healthy habits and guide dancers through the science behind their nutrition intake in combination with the physical fitness they take part in daily.

7. Dance Science, Anatomy, & Kinesiology Teacher

Source: himalayaninstitute.org

Dance Science, Anatomy, & Kinesiology Teachers teach dancers about the muscles and bones they use in their bodies and the way they function while moving in intricate ways.

8. Yoga Instructor

Source: chopra.com

Yoga Instructors teach their students a variety of balancing poses, breathing techniques, flexibility stretches, and strength exercises amongst a wide variety of yoga styles.

9. Pilates Instructor

Source: pilatessanctuary.co.uk

Pilates Instructors teach and coach students through various exercises designed to work each part of the body while strengthening the core, muscles, and posture.

10. Dance Writer

Source: myself

Dance Writers write for blogs, magazines, websites, programs, companies, or studios about a variety of topics within dance, such as upcoming performances, styles of dance, experiences, various dance programs and studios, performance qualities, technique, choreography, educational dance topics, etc.

11. Dance Educator

Source: consciousdancer.com and cambriapress.com

Dance Educators are scholars who educate students about the values and practices within dance, covering topics of the ways of knowing dance, dance and culture, pedagogy, dance vocabulary and language, the art of technique and performance, the body politic, dance and industry, and movement practices, along with other technical, choreographic, and educational topics.

12. Dance Researcher

Source: euppublishing.com

Dance Researchers research topics and conduct studies related to dance that are either entirely unique and haven't been discovered yet, or ones that haven't had enough research.

13. Dance Historian

Source: amazon.com

Dance Historians focus on the history of dance from various regions, periods, cultures, and phenomenons, and link it to its process of change throughout history up to its current point.

14. Dance Author/Creative Storyteller

Source: #dancebooks Instagram

Dance Authors or Creative Storytellers write literary novels or books about topics within dance.

15. Arts Administrator

Source: americandancefestival.org

Arts Administrators perform duties for an arts or performing arts organization that include staff management, planning events, program development, budgeting, website organization, designing activities, writing proposals, running fundraisers, etc.

16. Dance Performance Lighting Designer

Source: mandy.com

Dance Performance Lighting Designers use their knowledge of stage effects and colors to light dance performances and create atmospheres with the use of dancers, music, choreography, and costumes.

17. Dance Performance Stage Manager/Producer

Source: artzray.com

Dance Performance Stage Managers and Producers control and coordinate the backstage activity of a dance performance, including managing the roles of dancers, stage crew, technicians, designers, music, scheduling, etc.

18. Artistic/Theatre Director

Source: thenest.com

Artistic and Theatre Directors direct rehearsals and collaborate with creative and production teams through the interpretation of a performance, script, or musical score.

19. Dance and Film Technologist

Source: medium.com

Dance and Film Technologists use the creative effects of digital image and video in combination with a dancers' movement to create pictures and videos for electronic media production.

20. Dance Marketer

Source: socialbuzzing.co.uk

Dance Marketers use their skills of advertising and promoting on social media to grab an audience's attention on dance companies, dance studios, upcoming dance performances, dance class registration, etc.

21. Dance Photographer

Source: wallpaperup.com

Dance Photographers use art and science, angles, lighting, and location to snap pictures of posing and moving dancers with a professional camera and effects.

22. Dance Videographer

Source: bdcnyc Instagram

Dance Videographers record videos of dance movement of classes, events, or performances with a professional video camera and use of effects, angles, lighting, and location skills.

23. Dance Costume Designer

Source: modastrass.com

Dance Costume Designers use fabric, texture, and other clothing materials such as sequins, gems, hats, gloves, masks, jewelry, etc. to piece together and create costumes for dancers to wear.

24. Cultural Dance Specialist

Source: utsavpedia.com

Cultural Dance Specialists study, research, experience, and teach the many cultural and traditional dances within various regions and countries across the globe. Some of these include Belly dancing, Salsa, Flamenco, Indian, African, Irish, Caribbean, Tango, Māori, Bollywood, Ballroom, etc.

25. Freelance Dancer

Source: lifeofafreelancedancer.blogspot.com

Freelance Dancers keep their schedule flexible and work as guest artists for studios, companies, and schools, and either teach or choreograph classes at any given time. They have multiple side dance jobs that have flexible schedules.

26. Dance Project Traveler

Source: goodfon.com

Dance Project Travelers take a dance project that they are working on, whether it be choreography, a performance, a research study, or a dance educational project, and take it on the road with them to any place in the world to show various groups of people in order to obtain reviews and feedback. Funding is usually required. They also work and train in various international settings to build their global perspective of dance.

27. Stylistic Dancer

Source: dancepoise.com

Stylistic Dancers choose only one style of dance to hone in on to study, research, and do various amounts of work for.

28. Dance Critic

Source: flickr.com

Dance Critics watch and experience dance performances, studios, companies, competitions, and schools, and write reviews and ratings on them.

29. Dance Judge

Source: danceinforma.com

Dance Judges watch auditions and competition performances and critique dancers' performance, stylistic, creativity, technical, physical, emotional, and musicality skills.

30. Dance Medicine Specialist

Source: pownallalexandra.blogspot.com

Dance Medicine Specialists help prevent and cure injuries of dancers through the use of medical treatments, physical therapy exercises, prescribing medication, and using materials such as body braces, tape, straps, oils, etc. to treat injuries. They aid in helping patients continue dancing in healthy ways that allow them to work through their injuries.

31. Dance/Creative Movement Therapist

Source: college.columbia.edu

Dance and Creative Movement Therapists work with the mind and body of others to reduce stress both physically and mentally by using creative movement practices and activities.

32. Dance Movement Psychotherapist

Source: dancemuseum.org

Dance Movement Psychotherapists use the motor functions of the body to assist mental or physical disorders by allowing the emotional, cognitive, and physical aspects to strengthen.

33. Dance Meditation/Massage Therapist

Source: onestudio.nl

Dance Meditation and Massage Therapists use meditative practices to calm the emotional mindset of others and use massage techniques for a deep healing within the body.

34. Somatics Practitioner

Source: mauisomatics.com

Somatics Practitioners use the science of the body to guide others through bodywork exercises on how to move without feeling pain. They work on helping others' internal physical perceptions operate with the nervous system to relieve pain.

35. Dance Illustrator

Source: fubiz.net

Dance Illustrators create art with their body and movement structures through the use of art materials.

36. Rhythmic Dance Musician Teacher

Source: tes.com

Rhythmic Dance Musician Teachers combine the knowledge of music and dance and teach dancers to understand the various rhythms, beats, and tempos of different kinds of music they listen and dance to.

37. Dance Model

Source: dhgate.com

Dance Models model dance, costume, and fitness wear for clothing companies and brands.

38. Dance Studio Owner

Source: thecourier.com

Dance Studio Owners run the business of a dance studio and have demanding schedules of teaching and managing.

39. Dance Company Owner

Source: kcur.org

Dance Company owners run and direct their own dance company, find rehearsal and performance venue space, create dance pieces, hire dancers, choreographers, administrators, etc., and conduct other demanding jobs.

40. Dance Medicine Practice Owner

Source: balancedphysicaltherapy-pilates.com

Dance Medicine Practice Owners run their own dance medicine business, find equipment and materials, and utilize demanding schedules.

Most if not all of these professions are topics learned and focused on throughout a dance degree. If you are a dancer and anybody tells you that there isn't much to do with a dance degree or in the dance field and says it doesn't sound reasonable, you can show them this list of endless possibilities. There are many options out there in the dance field to find what works best for you and your career.