Let's Talk About Culture | The Odyssey Online

I’m Crazy In love With Beyoncé

Let's talk about Culture: Revisiting Beyoncé's Coachella Performance

26
https://www.her.ie/music/beyonce-crashes-karaoke-party-with-kelly-rowland-when-she-hears-girls-singing-her-song-91423

I had a front row seat to Beyoncé's Netflix documentary "Homecoming", or at least that is how I felt sitting on the edge of my bed admiring her performance. In a two-hour set, Beyoncé performed a celebration of black excellence on a stage surrounded by hundreds of dancers and musicians. After her pregnancy with the twins, Sir and Rumi, Beyoncé illustrated her homecoming back to the stage.

Last week, Netflix began streaming Beyoncé's 'Homecoming' documentary, which features her headlining performance at Coachella Valley Music and Arts festival in 2018. Just when I think I could not admire this woman more; she has taken my breath away with so much talent exuberating from a screen.

She provides behind-the-scenes insight into her experience at Coachella last April.

"I wanted every person that's ever been dismissed because of the way they look to feel like they were on that stage."

From the 64 credited musicians and the diversity of dancers of all shapes and sizes, Beyoncé's goal was perfectly executed. Beyoncé personally selected each dancer and embraced their distinct style and identity.

Inspired by HBCU's (historically black colleges and universities) marching bands and dancers, Beyoncé captured the black culture and brought it to one of America's biggest festivals. She performed on a stage of bleachers with her own black orchestra consisting of an entire drumline, trumpeters, and guitarists.

Coachella is highly known as a festival, which consists of celebrity and band performances from pop music and other genres.

"Instead of me pulling out my flower crown," Beyoncé stated, "it was more important that I brought our culture to Coachella."

That is a statement. Until now Coachella has been a very unrepresented experience for black culture.

So, she went back to what inspired her as a child, seeing Battle of the Bands and they're being fascinated by their movements. Over the course of eight months, Beyoncé worked hard to ensure everything was precise, embarking a historic show.

Beyoncé worked hard to provide this show for people to admire and learn about something that has not necessarily looked for especially at Coachella. Her character and swag, does not go unnoticed. She thought about every detail of the show including the shades lighting and outfits.

Her main outfit consisted of a hoodie with the Greek letters BK, a made-up organization, Beta Delta Kappa. This hoodie acted as a tribute to the Divine Nine, the Black Greek letter organizations that were founded in HBCU's.

It was a moment of unity and talent as Beyoncé performed many numbers from throwback albums such as "I Am… Sasha Fierce," "Dangerously in Love," "B Day," "4," "Beyoncé," and "Lemonade." There were also surprise performances from Destiny's Child's Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, Jay-Z, and her sister, Solange.

I felt every bit of her soul and energy through her voice as she sang and allowed us to intimately connect with her through this film. From opening up about the aftermath of her pregnancy to her schedule for getting back into performance shape, her insecurities as well as providing her input on black musical traditions.

We are able to see her admire the art that she has gifted us with.

As a young black woman, it indicates how our people are radiant and capable of so much talent and hard-work; much more when they come together.

"Creating something that will live beyond me something that will make people feel open and like they're watching magic." Beyonce says in her "Homecoming" documentary "Like they are living in a time that's super special and like its a day that they will never relive. That's what I want. "