What Makes Corning, NY The Best Hometown

Not just America's Most Fun Small Town.

907
Corning Museum of Glass

It's undeniable, everyone in the world argues that their hometown is the best place on earth. However, as someone who has traveled around the world, I can say for certain that Corning, New York is the best city to grow up and live in.

1) Historic Market Street

In the heart of this "Crystal City" is the home to an incredible selection of locally owned businesses and shops. From restaurants serving different cultural cuisines to fashion retailers and unique coffeehouses, there is truly something for everyone to support the local community members. Home to the "Best Pizza In Upstate NY" with Atlas Pizza and "Best Upstate NY Burger" at R&M, you simply cannot beat the prize winning food found here. In 2013, Market Street was even named one of the top "10 Great Streets" by the American Planning Association and Centerway Square was voted as one of the "15 Most Beautiful Town Squares in America" by Travel + Leisure.

2) Gaffer District Events

Corning's In-town District Management Association not only supports these local businesses, but also hosts many events for the community as well. Thoughtfully planned events such as GlassFest (named in 2014/2015 as a "Top 100 Events in North America") which celebrates everything this city represents, to farmers markets, Urban Arts Crawls, and more ensures exciting activities year round.

3) Corning Incorporated

Formerly known as Corning Glass Works, this Fortune 500 company's headquarters is located in Corning, providing jobs as well as cultural diversity to this small town. This esteemed company not only manufactures glass and ceramic products, but it is also a major innovator in all aspects of science and technology. The influence of Corning Inc. further increases the interest of STEM related education in the schools, and also brings business and tourism from all around the world. (Don't be surprised the next time you see 'Corning' on any type of glass!)

4) Museums

The internationally renowned, not-for-profit Corning Museum of Glass is home to the world's largest collection of glass, helping to give the name of the "Crystal City". CMOG displays nearly 50,000 pieces of many centuries worth of glass. Whether historical or artistic, you are bound to find something to peak your interest, even allowing you to design and create your own glass pieces. The Rockwell Museum is also found in the center of Corning, a Smithsonian Affiliated museum dedicated to portraying the American experience through Western art. These are just two examples of the abundance of art and history found in this incredible city, American Style magazine even lists Corning as a "Top Twenty-five Small City Arts Destination in the U.S".

5) Education

Formerly divided, now united as Corning-Painted Post High School and Middle School, the education found here is world class. Not only do these major public schools provide a wide variety of subjects, but they also provide the technology and educators necessary to allow the youth to thrive in their own education. Coupling this education with extracurriculars such as theater arts, sports, and service creates students who are incredibly well rounded and true leaders. The dedication of these educators and the school spirit seen in my alma mater of CPPHS counts everyone as "All In". For higher education, SUNY accredited Corning Community College was ranked the "#1 Two-Year College in New York" by BestColleges.com with an impressive number of course offerings, pristine campus, and high success rate for transfer students.

6) Sense of Community

Above all, the sense of community found in the "Most Fun Small Town in America" (Rand McNally's Best of the Road 2013) is what really makes Corning, New York the best hometown. Despite having a major international corporation located in the center of the city, the locals are truly what makes this place so special. The dedicated, intelligent, and caring people of Corning create an accepting community environment essential for learning and growing. Although there aren't that many, the people you meet here can never be forgotten. The memories of high school football games, ice skating, and hanging out at Aniello's will be with us all forever!