If You Don't Have A Coping Kit, Grab A Box And Put These 11 Things In It | The Odyssey Online

If You Don't Have A Coping Kit, Grab A Box And Put These 11 Things In It

4. A cheering-up book, like '14,000 Things To Be Happy About'

175
Coping Kit

When I was 14-years-old, I was hospitalized for my mental health. I learned a plethora of coping skills, but the one that stuck with me the most was having a coping kit.

Coping kits are meant to distract you and calm you down. They're full of things for all five of your senses, from candy to lotion to coloring books and more.

1. Something with some flavor

I have jolly ranchers and gum in mine! Sometimes it's nice to indulge on something sweet and small when you're stressed out.

Jolly ranchers and gum are individually packaged to prevent binge-eating, but do whatever fits you best!

2. Coloring books

https://www.facebook.com/882241785174962/photos/bc.AbrgAlBFnUZeQjVT9V_NmpUtdTYx5NBfG92x3rMclCDS1qSa4pmCxhzvEsD4QdGOdrQ1YH6z-QJpJOB5RFz-W64v18yn5tZM6gkcjvNUcZBWMftJFRn3qB9HnZ-oj6D_Vq5whePIo0NfMGcYrN50vFZm/890941114305029/?type=1&opaqueCursor=AboTPGkfLeG0hWyqfnKa4RYLF9mlQgLHSTj8jcwpK_3KmjGCYmj2KNL3Jk_tPPJG4FWvI_Y5lP4U-6GQQUYNrftUqs0rGJ0PZpXj1OhYOaQxxfOCjbihjgAZJa9QpZAIK4uPJ9GAnf22-6x9qWV1OYihY5JxNCyDwHkS0XOd-4B-vbcU-Ynq2F8RZyGN6jXX_QelFnBAxhgXh0HO1VZiq3C0BulySwYDxzAH11rmLbFQEFXW5nNp4WOL-LZDU0IbP_zmulXrVBZLnAfZg8OmeVO0LgHbjNidX4W4PXpU-vYFlHUadz8OmR28XLhuvaDg_bxT1-FZPUfEk-KrokobrFehRskri5R84NNkShjO2QMazUu75gUSVtfPGeGThM_1PioYET6u7KR9T0dnme8UD21JLzfEWhMF19CvXcVBVL7piFgjUP5HwrQ6wV4lCNpgr6RcoOQTdQOPolrW9ibqqomsThpLoDrQvF-sMfADescJ88RdCiNr-3LQZuJJgrWGebE&theater

Coloring books are a must! There are cheap mindfulness, therapeutic, funny coloring books pretty much anywhere! You can also print off coloring sheets as well!

3. A nice stress ball 

Keep your hands busy, and get your anger out, with a nice stress ball toy!

Highlight the things that make you happy, and remind yourself that even the smallest things can bring crazy amounts of joy!

5. Local and national helpline numbers 

You never know when it all could become a little to much. Keep some resources in your coping kit, just in case.

6. Letters from friends or family

Tell your friends and/or family that you're making a coping kit, and ask for some letters from them! These should be encouraging and uplifting words from the people closest to you. Look back on them and remember how loved you are!

7. Play-doh or slime

Yes, we're throwing it back to kindergarten. Grab something that you can shape and mold and hold. This will keep your hands and your senses busy!

8. Happy photos

Add photos from your childhood or past that make you happy. Keep photos of friends, family, pets, and vacations that help you perk up. Memories are a powerful tool if you use them right!

9. DBT/CBT worksheets

Print off some worksheets or order a dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) or cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) books! These workbooks can teach you coping skills, remind you of your coping skills, and help clear your mind. They're always an amazing resource to have!

10. Scented stuff for your body

Keep some self-care items in your box! Add a bath bomb, or a face mask, or some nice scented lotion. Try some hand sanitizer from B&BW or a sugar scrub. Treat your body well, and it will treat you better!

11. Your favorite movie

There's never a bad time for a good movie!

Anybody that has stress (college kids, practically anybody) can benefit from a coping kit...so get your hands on a shoe box and fill 'er up!