Compliments We Should Be Proud To Receive | The Odyssey Online

Compliments We Should Be Proud To Receive

You aren't full of yourself if you own your accomplishments with grace.

981
WP Content

If you're anything like me, you don't really know how to accept compliments. You don't want to sound conceded when you agree with a compliment you get, but you also don't want to seem like you dismiss the kind words.

Usually, I just smile, say "thank you so much!" and move on. But, we shouldn't shy away from being praised. There are some compliments we should be proud to receive; some compliments that we should accept with grace. It doesn't make us selfish or arrogant.

When we think of being complimented, we tend to believe that it revolves around our appearance or what people see on the outside. While those sorts of remarks do make us feel good and give us confidence, there are other things people say to us that we should commend ourselves for with even more dignity.

But, why are we so afraid to accept compliments?

We're afraid we'll appear "full of it" instead of humble. We're worried that we could have done better and people are only being nice because they have to.

People don't have to give us compliments. They do it because they mean it. We shouldn't shun kinds words that someone made sure we would hear. By not being proud of something nice someone says about us, we only negatively reinforce our feelings about ourselves. Lack of self -- confidence is not as attractive as owning it.

Here are a few compliments that we should be pleased to be given.

You're a great friend.

Being a good friend is one of the most endearing qualities we can possess and one that others will be thankful for. If you're told you're a great friend, believe it.

I'm lucky to have you in my life.

If someone tells you they are lucky to know you, that means you have made a positive difference in their life. That's a big deal.

I respect you.

If you earn someone's respect and they tell you that, you know you're doing something right. Respect is the golden rule.

I admire your honesty.

First, if you are admired by others, that means you're setting an example that someone wants to follow. You're a role model and an inspiration. Second, being honest makes you a more sincere, trustworthy and dependable person. Those qualities are three you should be proud to possess.

You deserve that.

Being told you are deserving means your hard work has been recognized, and that is always rewarding.

I trust you.

Trust is the key to any friendship and relationship. If nobody trusts you, how can you trust yourself? Take this compliment with responsibility, own up to the recognition and reinforce it every day for the ones you love.

Thank you.

This may not seem like a compliment since we hear it so often. If someone is thanking you, that means you have helped them, you've made them feel better or you've pointed out something positive about them. That deserves a compliment in return too.

I'm proud of you.

If other people are proud of you, you should be proud of yourself. It's as simple as that. It doesn't make you egocentric -- it makes you confident and confidence is beautiful. Once you're confident on the inside and people see that you will be more self-assured on the outside as well.

So the next time someone gives you a compliment, don't reply with "No, that's not true," or "I don't believe it." Love what other people love about you. Don't make yourself lesser than what you are. Be proud of yourself!