Columbia Restaurants You Must Try

Columbia Restaurants You Must Try

1127
Columbia Restaurants You Must Try
DiPrato's

Students have a few go-to meals: the Cookout tray, mac and cheese, and if we get really fancy -- Chipotle. It’s easy to be lazy, but these Columbia gems will surely make it worth your while to put some real clothes on and enjoy an affordable and delicious meal.

Brunch

Crepes et Croissants.

Located on Sumter Street by the State House, Crepes et Croissants is an authentic French eatery owned by an authentic French chef. As the name suggests, they only serve crepes and croissants, but both are freaking delicious. Choose from a variety of fruity, savory, and sweet crepes or a buttery bag of croissants. The shop also serves lunch and dessert crepes.

DiPrato’s.

Not to discredit the sandwiches, but DiPrato’s brunch is a winner. There’s always a line out of the door on Sunday mornings, but it’s more than worth it. I suggest the peaches and cream pancakes or pimento cheese.

SEE ALSO:The Ultimate USC Food Bucket List

Café Strudel.

Probably the cutest place in West Columbia, Café Strudel offers an artsy and quirky atmosphere. There’s a coffee bar, a massive orange juice machine, and, of course, delicious food. The cinnamon pancakes are my go-to, but pretty much anything is sure to be a hit.

Lunch and dinner

Publick House.

Bar by night, chicken wing masters by day. Publick House is a hole-in-the-wall bar on the outskirts of Five Points that makes the best dang wings you will ever taste. They’ll never tell you their secret, but the wings are grilled instead of fried, which makes them even saucier. If you aren’t a meat-on-the-bone type of person, the chicken fingers are also out of this world.

Village Idiot Pizza.

Village Idiot, also located in Five Points, is an upstairs pizza joint. The pizza is thin and crispy and the lunch specials could make a broke college kid cry. Village Idiot offers up quality pizza at an affordable price and is a great trivia destination.

Southern Belly.

Right past the bridge at the intersection of Rosewood and Assembly is a tiny black building. When I first pulled up I wasn't sure I was in the right place, but Southern Belly was actually just the best barbecue place I would ever go to. The inside has an awesome atmosphere, the staff is friendly and attentive, and the sandwiches are to die for. The grilled cheese is my favorite, but the rest of the menu (including different kinds of sauces) will fit adventurous and not-so-adventurous eaters alike.

Main Moon.

Whenever people ask for Chinese takeout recommendations, I scream, “MAIN MOON!” Aside from the insane affordability, the food is more than just decent. It’s a perfect balance of takeout speed and quality food. I would recommend any of their sauced chicken.

Pawley’s Front Porch.

Do I even need to put this on the list? If you live in Columbia and you haven’t been to Pawley’s, you need to go right now or move. They’re by far the best burgers in South Carolina and I will argue it forever. The fries are delicious, the burgers are big, Tuesdays are half-price. What more could you want?

The Gourmet Shop

The Gourmet Shop is a little more upscale, but if you can spare the money it's well worth it. They’re not open for dinner, so you have to plan accordingly. You can’t help but feel wealthy when you’re snacking on brie cheese and chocolate waiting for your piled-high sandwich to arrive.

Sweets

Pelican's SnoBalls.

Looking at the Pelican’s menu board can be overwhelming, but that's just because there are so many unique flavors to choose from. Any of the flavors (except maybe dill pickle and toothpaste) are delicious.

Kaminsky's.

New to the Vista, Kaminsky’s is a dessert bar that specializes in milkshakes and cakes. I’d recommend the Key lime pie and literally any of the milkshakes. The price is a bit steep, but you honestly do get what you pay for.

Cool Beans!

The happiest place for college hipsters, Cool Beans has a pleasing aesthetic and serves mouth-watering coffee. The current fall flavors, including a candy corn latte, satisfy your caffeine craving and your sweet tooth. Any coffee concoction is guaranteed to leave you with a smile on your face.