College: Safety (Not) Guaranteed | The Odyssey Online

College: Safety (Not) Guaranteed

Come out of your safe space and in to reality.

19
College: Safety (Not) Guaranteed
The Rubin Report

The recent trend destroying college campuses are so-called “Safe Spaces” and “Trigger Warnings”.

Like most societal downfalls, the ideas behind Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings are rooted in a misguided sense of love. While Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings might have been meant to protect individuals from pain, they actually pose a threat to the integrity of academic excellence.

A Trigger Warning is a disclaimer given before addressing a sensitive or controversial subject. At its heart, a Trigger Warning is meant to spare students pain from any negative emotions a subject may spark, as well as save them from being forced to relive negative episodes in their life.

Safe Spaces are places around campus where students can escape to: free of controversial ideas that may challenge their beliefs or inflict negative feelings. Safe Spaces are Zones free of anything deemed hateful, harassing, or anti-LGBTQI+. Some designated Safe Space rooms at universities include coloring books, bubbles, videos of puppies and play dough.

Advocates for Youth defines safe spaces on their website as, “A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or challenged on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability.”

As positive as Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings may sound, they are detrimental to a student's education and intellectual growth.

By locking oneself away in a safe space and demanding Trigger Warnings to avoid confronting negative emotions, the individual is severely damaging their ability to function in society.

Ever heard the phrase “running away from your problems”? Well, that's exactly what Safe Spaces are. While Trigger Warnings may prepare students before addressing uncomfortable topics, Safe Spaces turn those entering into adulthood back into juveniles incapable of handling stress.

If you don’t believe in the indignity that Trigger Warnings and safe spaces inflict on the American education system, then allow me to introduce you to what the Internet calls the “TrigglyPuff”.

This woman, if she even identifies as such, is irrational and incapable of handling herself in a public forum. She doesn’t just need a Safe Space, she needs her own padded cell.

Now, you may argue that Trigger Warnings and Safe Spaces protect victims of assault, racism, harassment, or any other form of PTSD, from reliving painful experiences. Well, that's wrong, and exposure therapy proves is.

According to PTSD.va.gov, “People with PTSD often try to avoid anything that reminds them of the trauma. This can help you feel better in the moment, but not in the long term. Avoiding these feelings and situations actually keeps you from recovering from PTSD. PE works by helping you face your fears. By talking about the details of the trauma and by confronting safe situations that you have been avoiding, you can decrease your PTSD symptoms and regain more control of your life.”

If you are truly trying to help people suffering from trauma, the way to do that is not to coddle them or avoid “triggers”.

University of Chicago recently took action to save the integrity of their institution by sending a letter to its incoming students informing them of the University's, “commitment to academic freedom” and that they will receive no coddling or shelter.

Unfortunately, negative emotions are an integral, albeit uncomfortable, part of life. They are inescapable. The problem with Trigger Warnings and Safe Spaces is that they undermine an individual’s ability to cope with reality, and ultimately lead a well-adjusted life as an adult.