College is More Than Just Parties | The Odyssey Online

College is More Than Just Parties

I have become aware that I can still achieve a lasting social life without jeopardizing my goals.

26
College is More Than Just Parties
Odyssey

Freshman year was a ball; everyone’s first semester was filled with going out every weeknight, drinking too much and going to your classes hungover. As the year progresses, hopefully, you learn how to manage your time better. As the next year approaches, it’ll be time to start thinking about why you really came to college in the first place.

College is a luxury, many people in the world do not have the opportunity to go. Whether you pay full tuition or go for free, college is something you shouldn’t take advantage of. Now, in my sophomore year, I’ve realized the true reasons why I am here: to get an education, to make lasting connections, and to become the best version of myself.

As I continue to mature, I begin to look around my surroundings in a more speculating way. Many, like me, have grown to understand the real reason they chose this route for the next four years of their life. It’s not only about the fun, it’s much more than that. Grades become more important, consideration of our futures becomes more prominent; we are the generation that eventually will make things right for the world. But not everyone has come to this realization.

You may think others are fortunate, for having a lot of money and basically buying their way into college. This typically leads them to not really caring about the actual motive for going to school. I see many people still caring about trivial things that really will have no relevance in our lives when we grow up into our adult selves (the selves that take over the majority of our entire lives). For example, many college students will continue to feel pressured to go to frat parties that occur every school night, they continue to miss their classes because they are too tired from the night before, and they believe that hookups and drugs will make them happier than achieving success. But in reality, those things really have zero meaning. If you really think about it, those are just quick fixes to gain happiness that is unsustainable. Yes, having fun is good and can be beneficial, but fulfilling your goals is a much better way to attain a bright future.

Progressing through my path here at University, I have become aware that I can still achieve a lasting social life without jeopardizing my goals. There are other ways for you to become close to people without having to subject yourself to the rowdy and crazy social life college offers. You can make connections through simply talking, getting to know one another, trying to figure each other out on a deeper level. We think that putting ourselves out there for the world to see how much fun we’re having is the key to happiness, but news flash, it’s not.

So now, instead of trying to find the next high and attempting to go to every party and event offered, I’ve mellowed out. I’ve made friends and kept old ones by simply connecting. Small, intimate groups are key to accomplishing effectiveness. Being able to choose activities that I know will benefit me in the long run has not only improved my grades, but it has improved my relationships with people as well (and sometimes, it may weaken them as well, if they are not on the same wavelength). Either way, you will find yourself; keep doing you, whatever makes you comfortable, but forget about the pressure and the stigma of having fun all the time. Life is a serious matter, your future is a serious matter. Not to be misinterpreted, balance is key. It’s obviously okay to go to parties, meet new people, enjoy yourself, let loose, but it’s not everything. But when it comes to the point where that is all you want to do and you lose sight of what’s actually important, then it becomes a problem. Instead of trying to find easy, unhealthy ways to make yourself happy and feel better, it’s better to read, draw, write, discuss, and influence the people around you.