Best and Worst Drinking Games From A College Student's Perspective

The best ways to keep your party guests entertained! Only use these if you're 21 or older.

77
Photo by Yutacar on Unsplash

From my best friends basement to the frat parties at Penn State, the party scene is constantly evolving. Parties can vary from a casual hangout in your apartment to a crowd over 60 people, but there are some classic drinking games you can do to keep your guests entertained! Here are 10 drinking games that I am ranking from worst to the best.

10. Spin the bottle

Although this game may have been fun when we were all in 8th grade, we are all grown up and sitting in a circle waiting to kiss one of your friends does not seem like a good idea anymore. Save this game for your hometown friend's basement, because it will not fly in college. If you're the person who suggests this game, just kiss the person you want rather than playing a game about it!

9. Never Have I Ever

This game is not very eventful, and I do not recommend playing this in college. The only way this game is fun is to expose people. However, some people need to stop using this game as an excuse to try and flex the craziest things they've done, or their sex life. From listening to some of my friends, this game can make them feel bad about themselves because of their inexperience in the college culture. Overall, would not recommend this game.

8.  Dizzy Bat

Honestly, this game is an injury waiting to happen. Don't get me wrong, this can be a tailgate classic and a good way to keep the energy up. However, drinking out of a bat is pretty disgusting and I'm sure you will not feel too happy about the tumble you take after trying to play.

7. Thumper

This game has great potential to be fun when people are involved and sober enough to remember everyone's signature move. As the night progresses, and the more the crowd has to drink, the last place you want to be is by a table where there are people banging on a table and making weird dance moves you have to memorize. With how loud the volume of this game can get, it could potentially lead to a visit from the cops and no one wants to have to deal with that.

6. Ride the Bus

POV: your Uber is 20 minutes away and your guests are getting antsy, and you need game to liven the mood. This game is fun and a classic, but is not really made for a party scene. I would recommend this game for a pregame or a chill atmosphere, but there is no way this game would work in a frat basement.

5. Fifth and a Friend

I've heard this game can be very fun, but usually the night can send in a horror story from the amount of alcohol consumed. You are physically connected to someone else and you need to finish a fifth of alcohol first to win the game, so many people will end up not remembering how the night goes. As long as you are around people you trust, this game can be fun, but it is not the best in my opinion.

4. Kings

This game is similar to ride the bus in that it is great to play with friends or in a pregame to break the ice! Definitely would recommend this in a chill environment, but not with large groups of people who want to party. In order to play this, you need a deck of cards and a beverage of your choice with a tab on it. This game is a classic and is a great way to kill time.

3. Pong

Always a classic! I feel bad not ranking it first, but this game can get repetitive and if you're not too good at it then it isn't too fun... unless you find a good partner. Also, if you're at big party, the odds of you actually playing is very small, no matter the amount of times you call "next". Only 4 people can play at a time and you are not socializing with anyone, unless it is fighting your opponent. I will always recommend this game, despite where I am, but there are some issues that come along with it.

2. Flip Cup

This game is fun because there are tons of variation! Everyone knows this game, and you can have an unlimited number of people play at the same time! It is great for tailgates or for actual parties. Any game involving chugging is going to guarantee a good time. This game is great and always leads to good times.

1. Stack Cup

This game is number one for so many reasons. It requires the perfect amount of skill and luck for a drinking game. It is strategic and requires a technique, and if you get the center cup, I wish you good luck. You can play this game at a pregame or an actual party and it will be fun no matter where you play. Almost everyone will know this game and I can guarantee if they know it they will play.

Play all of these games responsibly and have fun!