Clothing & Body Image: It's My Body, Right?

Double standards about clothing and body image need to be addressed.

22
Storify

Society has a huge standard and impact on the pressure given to both genders with folklores and norms on how both should act, dress and carry themselves. Gender roles are by definition, a set of behaviors that specifies one’s gender, the image projected by a person, and the overall public presentation of gender identity (Dictionary.com). As people in this nation, we are often judged by how we dress and present ourselves to the public. There are unspoken rules on how to do so, and it can sometimes become confusing at just what is “expected”of us. People are criticized significantly for doing things differently or how they see fit. The difference of what male and females should and should not be able to wear should vanish as long as the respect for their bodies is evident.

Men do not usually get much criticism towards what they choose to wear and how to wear it. Men can wear just about anything they choose and not receive any sort of backlash against it. Usually, all men's clothing are not looked at and critiqued on certain aspects and features of the material, it is usually a grab and go sort of situation. People tend to look at guys with their shirts off and feel neutral to it, as if it was completely nothing to seeing a guy with a bare chest, but girls show a bit of cleavage, and it can cause unfavorable consequences.

Women have a much harder time with having to justify their clothing and appearance to others. The main problem for the tons of women facing certain accusations and discrepancies is that it puts on a huge first impression for anyone that sees them. They are told that what they’re wearing and how they’re showing off their own body is distracting, problematic and something to be ashamed of (The Falcon). There should not be one woman out there that should feel the need to justify to others, just what and why she chooses to present herself in a way that others might not necessarily like. Lena Horne discusses how strange the nude body of a female is treated in society nowadays. “It's like people are constantly begging to see it, but once they do someone's a hoe.” Horne explains. Some want to put their body on display for others while some just wish to be comfortable in their own body.

The same set of standards that should be revoked from women’s clothing and the critical remarks should also go to those who choose to crossdress. A person who cross-dresses is performing the act of dressing in the “clothing” of the opposite sex. Clothing is something that should be gender neutral due to the fact that people have their own opinions of what clothing would be more suitable for male and female. Certain items are looked at more manly than feminine and vice versa. There’s a standard that earrings are only for girls, while others believe that both men and women can wear them and look good in them. People who cross-dress are often said to have been experiencing gender dysphoria, which is the constant feel of unease or discontent (Netdoctor). Crossdressers tend to be unhappy with the clothing and appearance that society looks for in their gender and therefore change for themselves to feel more comfortable.

The comments that several women receive on their appearance in public has become more of a method to feed off of the insecurities some might have. If the commentary isn’t insulting, it is along the lines of absolutely revolting and sleazy remarks to get a rise out of someone. The topic has gone from women not respecting their bodies, to dressing like a “slut”. It is now apparent that if a female’s skirt is not almost at her knees then she would get considered a “tease”. If the heels a female wears exceed a certain length, then she must be a “whore”. The attire that a woman wears is constantly under the criticization of another person simply because women are expected to present themselves in a manner much more buttoned-up and reserved than a man should. A man does not receive negative declarations about the length of his shorts or how much of his arms are exposed to the public as men, men should be able to dress however they feel fit. Today, as a human race, we’re more judgemental towards those who are sensitive to certain things. We pick and choose what things “should” and “should not” be done because we feel as if it is our choice as to what others should and should not be allowed to do, wear and act, but that is not and should not be the case.

The respect factor should be out there when it comes to the representation of one’s attire. If a person respects their body, then so will others. If a person feels comfortable in their own clothing, their own skin, the way they dressed shouldn’t appeal to others as much as how the carry themselves. When a girl wears a crop top, shorts or high heels, she shouldn’t be demeaned for the skin that she is showing, but rather complimented on the courage to be able to be comfortable enough with her body to wear the various types of clothing that cater to a certain part of it.