Childhood & Teenage Remedies To Rekindle Your Millennial Happiness

Sometimes, you just need a Fruit Roll-Up and the cartoon section on Netflix.

20
Pexels: Kaboompics//Karolina

90's babies: are you stressed? Missing the good old days when adulting wasn't a thing? It's time to bring back that millennial magic stuff, and no, I don't mean that purple ooze from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers:The Movie.

1. Go to a park with an actual playground.

Valdosta State students, before you even think about it, the Front Lawn at Valdosta State University does not serve as an adequate park for my first piece of advice. The Front Lawn might have green grass and a fountain, but it doesn't have swing sets and a slide, now does it? Take a friend, preferably one who has been in your life for quite some time (one who has gone through elementary, middle school, or high school with you and that you can reminisce with), swing, play the "troll bridge riddle game", and talk about your old memories together.

2. Eat your favorite childhood snack.

Just the other day, I was eating candy with a friend, and we sat wondering what it tasted like and why the flavor was so familiar. Our final conclusion: "it tastes like childhood". There's something unique about childhood flavors, and even when we haven't tasted them in years, we immediately recognize them if we ever do taste them again. I'm still super sad that DunkAroos aren't a thing in stores anymore, but French Toast Crunch can be found on almost any cereal aisle now, and I swear it's JUST as good as you remember. Also, if you say you don't crave Lunchables or a Fruit Roll-Up every now and then, you're a liar. I swear millennial childhood snacks were the best.

3. Find your favorite childhood series & BINGE WATCH.

Instead of watching something brand new like Famous in Love on Netflix, why not watch all the seasons of Courage Cowardly Dog in 2 days instead? I just love hearing Courage say, "the things I do for love" in the process of saving sweet old Muriel and the ever-ungrateful Eustace from Le Quack, Katz, or *insert creepy demon of choice*. The Cartoon Network of our generation had the most questionable, dark-humored, entertaining shows. The nostalgic theme songs are bound to bring back memories, and you'll be surprised at how many details about the episodes you remember!

4. Watch your favorite childhood movie before bed (or a remake).

Growing up, there was always that one "kids" movie we all watched non-stop and never got tired of. For a lot of us, Disney movies like Lion King and Cinderella were the first movies we ever obsessively watched until the VCR tapes just wouldn't run anymore and we had to restock in DVDs. The movies we grew to love as preteens and teenagers, like the Cheetah Girls, Bring it On, and Napoleon Dynamite, were just as addicting. Another idea: watch and critique a remake of a childhood favorite; go see Emma Watson as Belle in the latest Disney live action film or Kimberly in the newly-released Power Rangers.

5. Go back through your old iPod and listen to your middle school playlist.

Oh the memories of my morning middle school bus rides with Usher, Ciara, and Fallout Boy. "Thnks fr the mmrs", hot pink iPod Nano. Even if it's been literally a decade since you last listened to your middle school playlist, I guarantee that once you hit "play", you'll be able to sing back every lyric. You can always find a way to listen to it in the car when you're in your feelings and realize the music of pop culture today will never live up to the stuff you and your best friend listened to back when you shared a single pair of earbuds and probably a tube of Lip Smackers.

6. Pull out an old board game and play it with your friends.

Anyone else remember the days of Game of Life, Monopoly, and—let’s go way back for a second—Candy Land? Give these games another shot instead of Cards Against Humanity next time you throw a party or just relax at home with friends. If you're feeling extra risky, pull out Twister and let the laughs unfold. Childhood games range in difficulty, but they are always enjoyable, simply because of the memories attached. Basically any game can be adapted to fit an adult get-together if you get creative enough. Sometimes, it's just fun to be a kid again, though.

7. Play dress-up & do the adult thing by sharing on Instagram!

This is probably my favorite piece of advice. A lot of people think dressing up is a child's game or should only be done at a Halloween party, but it doesn't have to be that way. I suggest picking a favorite childhood hero or even character, dressing up, finding a relevant prop & location, and taking some photos (I've pretty much built up a small portfolio of my costumes, and the Daria costume above was created in five minutes from things I already had in my closet). Somehow, seeing yourself as a character you love gives a little confidence boost, and it's so fun to go back and look at. Don't forget to share your looks on social media!

8. Pull out the Nintendo 64 or PS1 and have a lazy day.

I'm sorry, but no games beat the games of Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 1 as far as I'm concerned. Remember the days of Mario 64 when ghosts and Bowser were as scary as characters got? How about Star Fox? In terms of PS1, does anyone else remember flaming and head-butting rhinos and collecting gems on Spyro the Dragon? And you're absolutely crazy if you say Crash Bandicoot was not one of the funnest, most addicting games you ever had the PLEASURE of playing. Also, those apples Crash collected looked super delicious even though they were oddly geometric.

9. Start rereading your favorite childhood series.

My list goes on and on: Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, heck...we can dig even deeper into our childhood into books like Hank the Cowdog if we have to. Just pick up something you remember reading during the time that AR (Accelerated Reader) books and stickers were a thing in school, and have fun rereading, remembering, and reminiscing.

10. Take the childhood "dream"cation to Disney World or Universal Studios!

I would recommend this ESPECIALLY if you never had the chance to go as a child. Be sure to get pictures with all of your favorite characters while you're at it. I truly feel both Disney World and Universal Studios perfectly cater to the childhood of millennials like ourselves more than they might newer generations. Who knows The Little Mermaid and Lion King better than we do? Who grew up along the cast of Harry Potter? We did! Spending a day or two in Magic Kingdom or the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be a surreal experience for those of use who grew up with it, and it's just one more way to relive the nostalgia.