What It Feels Like To Be A Chicagoan Away From Home

Because 4,000 miles is a long ways away when history is being made in your city.

11
Flickr - Joshua Mellin

"We have to win for the people to show up. The Cubs have to show up for the people to show up." - Eddie Einhorn, Late White Sox Co-Owner.

Four thousand miles is a long way to be away from home right now if you're from Chicago and know anything about baseball. I've always said by location I'm a White Sox fan... it comes with the territory of living on the South side. However, I always follow up with saying I love the Cubs' games and have so much respect for the fan base and the quote above drives it home. It has been 108 years since the Cubs won the World Series. It has been 71 years since they've advanced to the World Series. If you haven't caught on yet, this win and advancement are a huge deal. It's a big deal if you're from Chicago, seeing the last time either Chicago baseball teams were responsible for winning the World Series was in 2005 when the White Sox took home the title, and it's a huge deal if you're a Chicago Cubs fan.

Chicagoans have been on the edge of our seats since last year when, nationally, people noticed an improvement in the performance of the team (technically we are on the edge of our seats during every game). It's a time of excitement and anxiousness considering the Cubbies have been in such a position before. However, there's something about this time that tells me things are different and that the stubborn Billy Goat has breathed its last breath.The positive attitudes of members of the teams, and of course the constant exhilarating support of the fans tells me that the boys are going to bring home the title this year.

As center fielder Dexer Fowler has said, “We’ve heard the history, but at the same time we’re trying to make history,” and boy is it being made. The fans have continued to show up since the first win and there has never been a change in the routine of support even when the Cubs were considered the worst in the league.

On October 22, 2016, Wrigley Field likely caused a small earthquake as all of the fans, and Cubs' team members celebrated this major feat. Although most of us have acknowledged that this isn't the end of it and there are still four more games to go, I can imagine everyone has the same feeling I have when there's just something in my heart which tells me this is the year that the Cubs win the title.

Although I couldn't be more excited for Chicago and the team, it also pains me to be so many miles away. The most connection I have to the celebration are text messages from family and friends, as well as Facebook videos showing the thousands of people flooding the streets outside of Wrigley Field after the big win. While I was in Amsterdam having an amazing time at the annual music festival, I couldn't help but feel some sadness as the homesickness continues to hit me right in the heart every so often. I've even proposed to my parents to have for me to have a presentless Christmas just for a ticket to fly home going into the time of Game 4... That obviously didn't go over very well.

It's one thing to be nearly 4,000 miles away from home, which makes for a great experience and many wonderful lessons. However, it's another thing to be that far away from home when the baseball team you've been rooting for and have seen put in so much hard work over the past 108 years, advances to the World Series once again. My eyes have teared up to the point that I can no long lie and say my allergies are acting up.

Baseball isn't a huge thing over in Europe and my program seems to be lacking a proper amount of Chicagoans to have a real celebration. But hopefully anyone else who has already been hit with homesickness from being away (rather it's for study abroad, college, a weekend trip, etc.), and now even more due to this huge event, continue bleeding that Chicago pride. I'm sure the guys can feel the support no matter how far you are from home base.