An Open Letter To Change | The Odyssey Online

An Open Letter To Change

Dont be afraid of change... It's leading you in a new direction

172
An Open Letter To Change
alignedforlifechiropractic.com

To that crazy thing called change,

You can be a scary thing. No I am not talking about the circular pieces of copper, nickel, and zinc that clutter up the bottom of a purse, or can be found under a couch, but rather the type that comes along and completely throws your life for a loop hole, whether you are ready or not.

You can attack the lives of those you effect in a multitude of ways. There are times when you are predictable, with a set date telling us when you will whip through our lives as a tornado, giving us some time to prepare, but not necessarily easing the blow when you do hit us, Sometimes we can literally sense you coming, even when you are not announced. We can feel it in our souls that our life is about to be changed by you, but we keep going on with our lives as if nothing is different, and hope that we can somehow avoid you. Then there are the times when we honestly don't see you coming. The times when you hit us like a Mack Truck, and leave us questioning how the hell we got to this point, as we try to adjust to you on the fly.

We have many ways of dealing with the qualities of you that alter our lives. Some of us may choose to simply go on with our lives and pretend like you never happened. We keep ourselves busy to purposely put off the thoughts of what is now different. It is often however, when we are finally winding down late at night from our hectic schedules that you hit us full force, crawling out of a closet or drawer that we shoved you into and forcing yourself to be felt.

You are not necessarily a bad thing though. Yes, although I personally try to avoid you, you do have a purpose, even if we cant always see it while we are in the storm you have created. It is true you often change the path we are on, but you also give us the unique opportunity to be able to forge a new one. To allow us to wake up everyday and realize how many people would have given anything to have a chance at another day. Yes, it might be a day filled with chances, but it is also a day that we can strive to make our lives into whatever we want them to be.

I'll be honest I'm not your biggest fan. I am literally the Holden Caulfield of change, wanting everything in my life to always remain the same just as the never changing museum exhibits in The Catcher in the Rye. A few months ago, you effected my life in many ways, but I am honestly grateful for everything you brought me. In recent weeks you have again come knocking on my door in ways I was both prepared for, ways I was not expecting, and literally everything in between. Although some of these changes were not necessarily what I would have asked for, I am fully ready to embrace everything you hope to give me, and know I will not only learn a lot from you, but yes, even change myself.

You may not always be what we want, but sometimes you are what we need. It will do no good to try to outrun you, as you always have a way of finding us. Our only option is to take everything you give us head on, and for us to remember that we have faced you head on before and come out a better person because of it. All we can ask is for you to go easy on us, and for you to guide us onto a new path that we can work to make all our own

Much Love,

Someone who is trying to work with you