Change Your Life And Go Vegetarian | The Odyssey Online

Change Your Life And Go Vegetarian

Easy ways to make the switch to a plant-based diet

62
Change Your Life And Go Vegetarian

If you are interested in making a change in your life that will help you get healthier, save the planet, and be a friend to animals, then look no further. Shifting your diet to vegetarianism can have tremendous positive impacts! Here are some helpful hints for cutting meat out of your diet.

1. Meatless Monday.

Many people would like to become vegetarian or vegan, but are not ready to immediately stop eating all animal products. If you're not sure that you can fully commit to vegetarianism, try to designate one day per week (or perhaps one meal per day) when you consume no meat. Another tip for a smooth transition into this new way of life can be to give up one type of meat at a time (i.e. first stop eating chicken, then stop eating pork, etc.).

2. Farmer's markets!

Farmer's markets are great places for organic, fresh, and local fruits, vegetables, and grains. Additionally, they abound across the country, in both urban and rural areas. Visit Local Harvest to find a farmer's market or a CSA (community-supported agriculture) near you!

3. Vegetarian alternatives.

One of the best ways to ease yourself into a vegetarian diet is to find plant-based versions of your favorite meat or dairy items. While some of them are certainly better than others, there is no shortage of chicken, beef, pork, cheese, and yogurt alternatives at most major grocery stores. Personally, I recommend Morning Star Farms, Daiya, and Quorn brand products.

4. Find other vegetarians.

If you live in a big city like New York, Los Angeles, or Portland, vegetarian and vegan Meet-Ups are common. However, if you live in rural cities, finding other vegetarians may be more difficult -- so, just ask. Chances are there are more herbivores where you live than you think there are.

5. Watch vegetarian documentaries.

Whether you are searching for a documentary about the health benefits of a plant-based diet or you are an animal lover who wishes to know more about the conditions on factory farms, there are plenty of fascinating films to watch concerning vegetarianism. My personal favorites are "Forks Over Knives," "Food Inc.," "Earthlings," "Cowspiracy," and "Vegucated."

6. Try new vegetables and fruits.

Most of us probably have a few favorite fruits and vegetables that we eat on a day-to-day basis. If you eat a banana every day for breakfast, mix it up and try some dragon fruit instead. Salads do not have to just be lettuce, tomatoes, and olives -- put some bean sprouts in there. Next time you are at the grocery store, intentionally seek out produce that you have either never tried before or have not tried in a long time.

7. Get inspired to cook.

Making big changes in your diet can be scary, but it can also be fun! Find new recipes that are filling, nutritious, and delectable. Tons of vegetarian recipes can be easily found online and in cookbooks. Experiment with new spices, too.

8. Keep a food journal.

Writing down all of the food that you eat in a day keeps you accountable, regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or an omnivore. Make sure to also jot down how you felt after each meal.

9. Read vegetarian books.

Numerous authors have written extensively about the benefits of a vegetarian diet to the planet, to the human body, and to farm animals. Some of my personal favorites include "Diet for a Small Planet," "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian," "The China Study," "Eating Animals," "Animal Liberation, and "When Elephants Weep."

10. Find veg-friendly restaurants.

Locating meat-free restaurants and cafes near you is a great way to try new foods and to get excited about going vegetarian. Many ethnic cuisines have lots of vegetarian (and even vegan) options on their menus. Even most chain restaurants, like P.F. Chang's, Mellow Mushroom, Cheesecake Factory, and Olive Garden can easily accommodate vegetarians.