Take a Walk

Take a Walk

The Benefits of Man-Powered Transportation

16
Take a Walk
Zef Larson

Transportation is indeed a problem that has kept man’s creative juices flowing for many a millennium, perhaps since the beginning of our existence here on earth. If it were not for our inability to teleport from place to place, our race would never have been inspired to accomplish such great feats as the taming of horses and other beasts of burden, or the invention of sea vessels, the railroad, aircraft, and automobiles. Technological advancement is a good thing, more or less. It makes certain aspects of our life easier, so we can do more work in a more efficient manner. A problem arises, however, when our lives become so dominated by technology that we completely abandon the notion of doing simple, natural activities we are meant to do. With the invention of cars, we no longer consider getting around with our own naturally-endowed pair of feet. Favoring maximum ease and comfort, we strap up in our rolling homeostatic capsules, instead of immersing ourselves in the real, fresh, and truly beautiful world surrounding us.

Needless to say, our bodies suffer in a multitude of ways from inactivity. We are basically machines, with physical components that are meant to use energy by moving. Ironically, we supplement this much needed physical activity at the gym, three miles away, which we reach by car, so we can run five miles on the treadmill and follow up with a strength building routine. Seriously, why not just walk, run, or ride to the gym?

Although a journey on foot or bike seems to cost more time than a drive, it will actually save time if you take into account all the gym time you're knocking off. You'll find that walking or jogging is a lot less stressful than driving. With your mind in such a relaxed state, why not get some meditation in while you're at it? That way, you can get both your fitness and meditation accomplished simultaneously - which saves time!

Since high school, my daily commute to school, work, and other business has been contained within a five-mile radius – with a few occasional exceptions. Sometimes I travel by car, but more often I get to my destinations by walking, biking, or even running. I can personally attest to the fact that man-powered travel, especially on foot, has helped me not only to stay healthy, but also to connect with my community. You’ll find yourself running into people you know in the neighborhood now and then. You’ll experience all the unique sights, sounds, smells, and sensations of life around you. Being outside in the fresh air and sunlight also helps you form a bond with nature. And if you ever happen to find yourself in weather conditions that are less than favorable, be assured that you’ll make it through with an all the more strengthened spirit! In the end, you’ll come to really love and appreciate the world you live in.

Speaking of nature, your choice to get around via natural locomotion greatly benefits the environment by reducing CO2 emissions and air pollution. Good for the planet; good for you!

Alternatives to driving also save you quite a bit of cash. If most of your travel is done on foot or bike, you can consider your gas and grocery bills as one and the same. In addition, if you choose not to own a car at all, you can blow a goodbye kiss to auto insurance.

So the next time you’re tempted to take a drive to the coffee shop or drive-thru a mere block away, reconsider taking the opportunity to transform your everyday errand into a pleasurable and beneficial adventure. And don't just walk. Look, listen, feel, and connect.