Captain Marvel Trailer Debut | The Odyssey Online

'Captain Marvel' Trailer Doesn't Do Her Justice

For the newest face of the MCU, we wonder if her trailer has really done her enough justice.

22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8
Credit: Marvel Entertainment

She's had her first trailer drop this week. The new kid on the block and last new face before the cinematic event of a lifetime. The planet mover. The one who will supposedly lead the MCU and become the new Captain. Miss Carol Danvers. Captain Marvel. What's the view counter now? Almost 30 million? All for a trailer.

Anybody else gets some overwhelming 90s nostalgia watching this trailer? Samuel L. Jackson looking like someone out of every 90s buddy cop movie. And looks like the director finally put one of those out of business BlockBuster storefronts to good use. The freeway and bus crash trailer had me expecting to see a black tow truck crash off a bridge and the T-1000 walking out of its wreckage. Also made me realize what Envy Adams has been up to since Scott head-butted her last boyfriend so hard that he burst. Little "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" reference there, for ya.

I'll admit, the movie looks great (from what I can tell). It's also raised my hype for "Captain Marvel" and "Avengers 4" just a little bit more, only because I've realized that we're this much closer to them. However, was I the only one that low-key felt not as much hype as I should have? Even for a teaser? Probably so.

We know who she is, and based on what on we've heard in rumors alone, we can make a pretty fair guess for the amount of butt she'll kick and the length of the list of names she'll be taking. Mainly the Skrulls. But this trailer didn't fully entice me as much as I thought it would. I guess the "Avengers Infinity War" shot of The Avengers running into battle raised the bar for MCU Trailers a little too high. Literally, that trailer was a deep line in the start, the faces of all the new players, Caps new beard, the closing group shot and epic music.

We didn't even know the full premise of the movie. Ok, maybe we did: Captain America has a new beard, more T'Challa, and Thanos gathering the Infinity Stones for the most powerful jazz club applause ever. But we didn't know the full plot, especially Thors amazing-ness. Same thing with "Captain America: Civil War", and "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." These are huge movies and still, the media campaign showed almost nothing as to what would actually happen within the plot.

The "Captain Marvel" trailer, however, left me wanting more and not fully in a good way. However, as with "Ant-Man and The Wasp", this isn't meant to be a follow-up, and this case, not even a parallel story, to "Infinity War." Maybe I expected more from the trailer of one of the most important MCU movies. Regardless, my hopes won't come down, and I'm still just as excited as ever. Why? Because Captain Marvel is too important to the MCU and Marvel would be fools to screw this up. The last film before the ultimate culmination of the super-powered, super-hero, super-adventure that we've had the privilege to watch and be a part of for the past 11 years.

So I'll wait for the next trailer. I'll still go see Miss Brie Larson make her grand debut into this universe on opening weekend. I look forward to discovering what makes her a hero. At the end of the day, Marvel hasn't let us down yet (ignore some parts of Iron Man 2). And this one literally has their names on it. Even with an awesome, yet slightly unfulfilling trailer, or even no trailer at all, "Captain Marvel" has enough of a hype built up, and standards to meet, that no matter what, I feel confident in what will be delivered.