The Careful Cultivation Of Kylie Jenner | The Odyssey Online

The Careful Cultivation Of Kylie Jenner

With great power comes great artifice.

14
The Careful Cultivation Of Kylie Jenner
Google Images

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve heard of Kylie Jenner. Though she is known for many things, such as King of Snapchat, ruler of a budding cosmetics empire, or clothing designer, she is perhaps best known as a member of the Kardashian/Jenner clan.

Regardless of your opinions on this family, they undoubtedly are the most powerful family in American pop culture. With such a public lifestyle and awareness of their trendsetting capabilities, they are under extreme pressure to look presentable at all times. While I will never understand the kind of scrutiny they face on a daily basis, the lengths they go to in order to make headlines are troubling.

My largest issue is with Kylie, social media extraordinaire. At a mere 19-years-old, she has arguably more influence on pop culture than of any of her sisters. This influence was seemingly cultivated overnight, but let us not forget how much she has altered herself to better fit the Kardashian formula for success.

Whether it be a result of her own personal preferences, her family’s careful cultivation of her image, or some combination of both, Kylie’s public persona is not her own. She elevates her status every time she changes her look, and typically it is something as simple as changing her hair, but on rarer occasions it has been something a bit more permanent.

I’m sure by now you’ve figured out what I’m talking about. Yes, I’m talking about her lips. When Kylie first debuted her noticeably fuller look in 2014, a social media firestorm erupted in which the main concern was whether she had artificially enhanced them. For a while, the Kardashian PR team dismissed the rumors as mere makeup and selfie pouting, but soon enough, the jig was up. She eventually admitted she had fillers injected into her previously lackluster lips, but her dishonesty isn’t what is troubling to me. It’s the fact that she has become so popular and lauded for something that other women (namely, women of color) have been ridiculed for throughout history. And now she has made her fortune off of it. I take issue with her partly because of my half Latina identity; I’ve had to live with my fuller lips for two decades and have been the subject of jokes about them in my formative years. For Kylie to come along, wanting what she was not born with, and to be praised for making it “cool” or “popular” is to disparage those who have never been praised for it.

I don’t appreciate or condone how Kylie has achieved her fame, and I want take a “live and let live” view towards her. But she has proven that she shouldn’t be trusted as everything she says she is, and to the young people who look up to her, she has become deified. My advice to those people: take everything with a grain of salt, and remember how artificial the entire notion of social media is. I mean, how many selfies do you have to take in order to get the perfect one? I bet Kylie takes more.