Broadway Takes A Stand

Broadway Takes A Stand

Hamilton, a diverse musical, speaks up for the representation of diversity in Trump Administration.

4
Broadway Takes A Stand
F3News

There's no mistake in saying that some of the American people are unhappy with the results of the 2016 Presidential Election, in which Donald Trump was named the President-Elect by the Electoral College. Since Election Day, there have been countless marches, protests, petitions, and even various celebrities and late-night television hosts who have openly campaigned for people to donate to organizations like The Trevor Project, A.C.L.U., and Planned Parenthood. I encourage you to do the same if you feel that what these organizations stand for and help guarantee or protect is important.

This weekend, Broadway took a stand for what their actors, their shows, and their culture represents. On Friday, November 19th, Vice-President-Elect Gov. Mike Pence went to a performance of Hamilton: An American Musical. While he was initially booed by some members of the audience at his arrival, the cast did address the behavior, noting that it was inappropriate. Most of the public's energy, however, was directed to the performance itself and the message carried through each of the songs. Cheering when King George sings "If your people say they hate you," or "Do you know how hard it is to lead?" and during "My Shot" when Hamilton and Lafayette sing "Immigrants, we get the job done." The most important moment of the night, however, was when the cast of Hamilton, led by Brandon Dixon who currently plays Aaron Burr in the show, issued a direct statement to Mike Pence. The transcript is below credit to LYBIO.net.

"You know, we have a guest in the audience this evening. And Vice President-elect Pence, I see you walking out, but I hope you will hear us just a few more moments. There’s nothing to boo here, ladies and gentlemen. There’s nothing to boo here. We’re all here sharing a story of love.

We have a message for you, sir. We hope that you will hear us out.

And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post cause this message is to be spread far and wide, okay.

Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at ‘Hamilton: An American Musical.’ We really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir.

But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

Again, we truly thank you for sharing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds and orientations."

Donald Trump immediately took to twitter, attacking the musical by stating "Our wonderful future V.P. Mike Pence was harassed last night at the theater by the cast of Hamilton, cameras blazing.This should not happen!" and "The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!" Gov. Pence, on the other hand, said that he was not offended and did not want an apology from the cast of Hamilton, and he also acknowledged their concerns and attempted to reassure the public that President-Elect Trump will keep his promise to govern for all Americans.