Brexit What's Nex(i)t? | The Odyssey Online
Politics

Brexit What's Nex(i)t?

What Brexit is, what it means, and the consequences of this particular history being made.

27
Brexit What's Nex(i)t?
amazonaws.com

On July 23rd, 2016, around 30 million people in the United Kingdom (UK) voted on whether the the UK should remain within the European Union or secede from it. This was a referendum, meaning, that anybody of voting age, could take part in this decision. The turnout for this vote was the highest turnout of voters since the UK wide vote of the 1992 general election.

Leave won the final vote with a whopping 52 percent to Stay’s 48, hence the outrage from those that want to stay. According to reputable sources, the decision to call the referendum was made by UK Prime Minister David Cameron, in hopes to gain votes from those that might defer to UKIP. After the vote to leave caused an uproar, Prime Minister David Cameron has made the decision to resign within the next three months, making others feel like he is abandoning his country.

“So what if they left the European Union? What does it even mean to leave the European Union?”

Well, that’s actually the top most googled question in the UK right now.

The European Union was created basically to prevent another world war from happening again and essentially unite 28 European countries to benefit their peoples. Its design is mainly political and economical, allowing it to grow into a “single market”. Essentially, if you’re part of the European Union, you and all the countries in it are treated as one giant country. This is why the euro is in place in Europe, as it is the currency used in the EU.

Who is a part of the European Union?

The 27 other countries in the European Union are: the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden, with the UK as the previous 28th country. By removing themselves from the European Union, the UK is essentially losing the benefits of being allied with these countries.

What are the benefits to remaining?

Here’s a list of the benefits:

-Citizens a part of the European Union are allowed to move freely between any of those a part of the union. They can work, live, and retire in any parts of Europe as long as they have a UK passport.

-Workers are more closely protected due to the European Working Time Directive.

-Regions that lack economical standing are given help through the ‘European Structural Funds’.

-It provides millions of jobs. Since people are able to move around across country borders, that opens up the job market for a lot of individuals.

-There is a greater amount of influence given to a country that is a part of the European Union, than one without.

The list goes on and on. Just ask Scotland and Northern Ireland; both voted entirely to stay. With the outcome of this vote, it wouldn’t be surprising if Scotland and Northern Ireland seceded from the UK in order to join the European Union as independent countries.

What does this mean for the United States?

Our economy could take a big hit from this. Within the first 24 hours of the UK voting out of the European Referendum, the pound went down 10 percent. This could very well lead to inflation, and in turn a recession. If the UK, who is one of the big leaders of the global economy, falls into a recession, that could cause a domino effect on the rest of the world. Especially, when it comes to trade. If you like to travel to the UK, whether it be to visit relatives or for a vacation, it will be incredibly more expensive due to the predicted inflation that will occur.

President Obama recently spoke of this current development. His stance is:

"The people of the United Kingdom have spoken, and we respect their decision. The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is enduring, and the United Kingdom’s membership in NATO remains a vital cornerstone of U.S. foreign, security, and economic policy. So too is our relationship with the European Union, which has done so much to promote stability, stimulate economic growth, and foster the spread of democratic values and ideals across the continent and beyond. The United Kingdom and the European Union will remain indispensable partners of the United States even as they begin negotiating their ongoing relationship to ensure continued stability, security, and prosperity for Europe, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the world."

At the moment there is a petition for a second referendum.

But What About Them?

Let's take a moment to think about what is happening right now. This is an event that will be written down in history books in the years to come. Just because we aren't feeling the direct effect right now, doesn't mean something important isn't happening. Currently, millions of citizens are feeling the drastic change this vote has caused. Those that 'don't look white enough', millennials, immigrants, the 48 percent, are all facing abuse and fear caused by that 52 percent.

Scotland, Ireland, London, Liverpool, Manchester, they all voted to stay. These places house a diverse amount of people that are being divided by skin color, age and class. They are now facing an uphill battle that could even lead to a civil war if this isn't resolved soon.

I am sure there will be more developments from the time this article is edited and posted. In the meantime, I will leave you with the voices of those who will be most affected by this decision.

Kit Harington (Jon Snow on Game of Thrones) spoke out at a signing: