A Breakup Letter To Obama

A Breakup Letter To Obama

It's time to say goodbye.

15
A Breakup Letter To Obama
Newsworks

Dear Obama,

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn, sometimes love isn’t enough.

I wish I could offer solace, but I can’t. Instead, I’ll reiterate this reality - Trump is Not the End. Not the end of your ideals. Not the end of democracy. Certainly, not the end of the country you know and love.

The end is the end of hope. In the past few days, I’ve seen people come together more than ever before. I’ve never been more inspired by the outpouring of love and support on my feed. Your legacy will not be forgotten, nor will your impact be dismantled.

I know you must be hurting, and I know it's presumptuous to assume I could understand how you feel. But I feel justified, because I've seen your commitment over the past eight years. And so, I know it hurts to see our country under another man's spell. Please, I implore you, remember this feeling and let it kick you into overdrive.

We have survived, but we are not survivors. We can’t afford to act unaffected anymore. We can’t afford to let someone diminish us to a single experience.

I am now certain that theorizing what’s best and truly comprehending it are two vastly different concepts. I am no longer interested in the art of time or the intricacies of such promises (I know you’ve heard that time heals). Instead, I wish to leave it as it is, raw in its own form, with questions unanswered.

We romanticize change without understanding its consequences. Your presence is indomitable, regardless of titles. There will come a time when the truth will taste like poison and your fears may be realized. Keep fighting. If not for you, then for us, because I truly believe the shock of the situation has awakened those who were previously complacent.

Maybe we needed a change. Maybe we're meant for better things. Seasons are shifting, statutes are changing, but, most notably, the country is learning. Learning that indecision can do more than ensure stagnancy. Learning the detrimental impact of hegemonic tendencies. And, I hope, learning to love.

Regardless of the lesson plan, you’ve helped us understand that moving on is something that comes with personal acceptance and change. I’m also struggling with this. I don't want to let you go. I don't want to backtrack. But I also don't know what these next four years have in store for us.

Here’s what I propose: Let’s take it a day at a time. Actually, an hour at a time, a minute, whatever time you need. I didn’t see it at first, but now I agree. I am no longer afraid of the volatility of such a transition. Realistically, mass hysteria doesn’t help. Instead, we must focus our efforts. Work on improving ourselves and educating others. As you know, forgiveness is selfless and education is priceless. We can't change what we can't see.

Even at the end, I want to thank you for all that you've given. And, if you're open to it, I'd really to like to stay friends.

Yours truly,

A Millennial in America