A Breakdown Of The 2016 Election Issues For Someone Who Is Clueless About Politics | The Odyssey Online

A Breakdown Of The 2016 Election Issues For Someone Who Is Clueless About Politics

Written by someone who is also clueless about politics.

6
Vosizneias

If you're anything like me, you like having an opinion about current issues. In my opinion, it makes for a better person and better conversation all around. But if you're also like me, you're really clueless about politics. With campaign season coming to a close and the polls opening in just sixteen days, it's time to finally make a decision. If you're still not sure where this year's candidates (or you) stand hot hot topic issues this election year, here's a breakdown.

Gun Control

Hillary Clinton believes that arming citizens isn't the most logical response to protecting us from acts of terrorism both foreign and domestic. Clinton believes in tightening and enforcing current laws on gun control, including "comprehensive background checks, and closing loopholes that allow guns to fall into the wrong hands." She is also on record stating “if you’re too dangerous to get on a plane, you are too dangerous to buy a gun in America.”

Gary Johnson, for the most part, supports individual freedom and gun ownership rights. He also believes that outlawing guns will leave the outlaws with guns. Johnson says, "the first people who are going to be in line to turn in their guns are law-abiding citizens. Criminals are going to be left with guns. I believe that concealed carry is a way of reducing gun violence." Though Johnson doesn't own a gun, he believes in the constitutional right for citizens to do so.

Donald Trump has an unwavering support of the Second Amendment. Trump believes that the Second Amendment is a citizen's "first freedom" and doesn't want extensive background checks or gun-free zones. Instead, he would rather get to the core issue of gun violence. He states that he would rather "get gang members and drug dealers of the street to make our cities and communities safer, empower law-abiding gun owners to defend themselves, and expand mental health programs to keep the violent mentally ill off of our streets."

Abortion/Women's Health

Hillary Clinton is unwaveringly pro-choice. She believes that "politicians have no business interfering with women's personal health decisions." Clinton strongly backs Planned Parenthood, and, if elected president, would continue support for the government organization. In addition to standing up for the continued funding of Planned Parenthood, she would also back increased women's access to critical health services including "safe, legal abortion."

Gary Johnson believes that a woman's choice to an abortion should lie solely with her. He is self-proclaimed pro-choice, but also believes in leaving the decision to the state's discretion. On a personal level, Johnson believes in the sanctity of the life of the unborn. However, he recognizes that the right of a woman to choose is the law of the land, and has been for several decades.

Donald Trump believes that "life is the most fundamental right." He believes that the government shouldn't diminish this right by denying its protection. He is opposed to all abortions except in situations of rape, incest, or in which the safety of the mother is compromised. In addition to this, Trump would defund Planned Parenthood, but still offer services for women with cervical or breast cancer.

Immigration

Hillary Clinton believes that the United States needs a comprehensive immigration reform with a path to full and equal citizenship. She would plan to keep families together, ending family detention centers and helping more eligible people becomes naturalized.

Gary Johnson knows the complex issues associated with immigration reform first hand as he served as governor of a border state. As president, Johnson would work for a reform that would include providing work visas, conducting background checks, and finding ways for immigrants to assimilate with our diverse society.

Donald Trump believes in enforcing our current immigration laws. As president, he would build a border wall and end sanctuary cities for immigrants. He also believes that the country should welcome those immigrants that want to assimilate into our society, but keep those who wish to do the country harm out through a serious vetting process before allowing citizenship.

LGBTQ+ Rights

Hillary Clinton believes that the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on marriage equality is "just, fair and moving toward equality." She would fight to ensure lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans have full equality under the law, and end discrimination in employment, housing, schools, and other aspects of our society.

Gary Johnson supports making gay marriage completely legal. He believes that the government should not interfere with how marriage is treated as it is a personal right. However, when it comes to the rights of individuals and couples under the law, Johnson believes the government’s promise should be to ensure equal access for all citizens. He also advocated to end the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy that prohibited openly gay people from serving in our military.

Donald Trump has always opposed marriage equality, most notably displayed in his embrace of the nation’s most anti-LGBTQ law, North Carolina’s HB2. He says he’s a “traditional” guy, and he would rather support domestic partnership benefits instead. Overall, Trump believes that same-sex marriage should be left to the discretion of the states.