Why "We Need to Take a Break" is the Cowardly Way Out | The Odyssey Online

Why "We Need to Take a Break" is the Cowardly Way Out

According to Phoebe, lobsters mate for life. They don't take breaks.

249
Whisper

In this wonderful millennial world that we're living in, relationships aren't valued as much as they should be. Relationships are often focused on materialistic things like how many times your man takes you out to eat, what nice things he bought you for no reason, and other various things. Call me old fashioned but I disagree. Sure, a movie and a Chick-fil-A would be cool every now and again but I'm all about spending quality time together and binge watching some "Grey's Anatomy." I'm all about being best friends and growing together as a couple. Apparently, that's too hard and makes guys freak out and need a "break" which in my opinion is a cowardly way to avoid telling her what's really going on. I'm here with reasons why "breaks" are needed and why they are dumb.

1. He needs time to find himself.

Honey, you are who you are. If you need to take time and go find yourself, I'm going with you. Word on the street is he really just wants time to go out and explore the world of hoes other girls. As a couple, it's about growing together and bettering each other. Try a different excuse, homie.

2. Things are too serious.

If you think going on dates twice a month and staying at home binge watching Netflix is too serious, you have another thing coming. I'm not asking for a three-story mansion in the middle of the country with a wrap-around porch, an Audi, a one-karat diamond ring with a diamond encrusted band, and two kids. Give me time and attention. All the time. Just kidding. Only sometimes.

3. He's self-centered and won't admit it.

Okay, so this one is pushing it as far as calling the guys out. However, you know it's true. To this point in his life, it's always been about him. He's always devoted his time to his hobbies and his friends. As a girlfriend, we're not asking him to stop doing what he loves and de-friend his friends. Please, by all means, go have a guys' night. You best believe I'll still go have a girls' night and enjoy myself. We do not have to spend every waking minute together so I can document it on social media. That's annoying.

4. He's scared to show weakness.

If your guy is going through something, the only thing you want to do is be there for him regardless. Maybe he doesn't want to hang out one night and that's fine, but running away when things get hard is a weakness that should be worked on. If we run away every time things get hard, how will we ever manage to make it through bigger obstacles?

So when I say breaks are dumb, these are the top reasons why. Guys may not think these things through or they may just be too sensitive to handle the real truth. Granted, breaks are indeed okay to take a few days apart from spending every waking moment together, but there is no excuse to cowardly break up with a girl and leave her hanging. Breaks are NOT excuses to get in another relationship while she's left to pick up her own pieces and glue herself back together. Believe me when I say she's capable and she's already back together, but strive to be BETTER than that.