Why Boy Band Fever Isn't A Good Thing

Why Boy Band Fever Isn't A Good Thing

Fantasizing to outrageous levels about male celebrities and artists shouldn't be okay.

75
Why Boy Band Fever Isn't A Good Thing

This past Thursday, I went to a concert to see American Idol contestant Dalton Rapattoni play at the Fortress here in Nashville. It was a wonderful night full of laughs and giggles, especially over the attractive singer himself. However as I stood in line, I noticed other girls and ladies say comments not appropriate for young ears about Rapattoni. The speakers acted like it was all okay, but it really wasn't. Then it made me think.

My generation and the generations following have a habit to fully fantasize about boy bands, male singers, and male celebrities to an almost outrageous extent. I have overheard in line and read on social media other women saying/writing seductive comments about and to Rapattoni, and this isn't the only case. These women comment about wanting to "get with him" or call him "daddy" in ways that I will not elaborate in.

I understand these men are attractive. Believe me when I say that I love watching them sing, act, dance, or play too. I talk about how attractive they are to my friends and family as well, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed by me or anyone for that matter. That line has been crossed with my generation and the generations following.

That line is overly fantasizing these artists. We throw our minds, our hearts, and even our bodies out to these artists as if they are gods, when in actuality they are simply just like us. You may say that his lyrics may touch you in a deep place, and that is fine. However, don't think for a moment that the artist "touched" you there because he is this amazing, perfect guy that knows exactly what you're going through. In fact, most of those songs are about what he went through. The reason why we get so emotional over them is because we listen to the song through our ears and inevitably through our own experiences. Without thinking about it, we relate the song, dance, etc. to what speaks most to our lives when it could mean something totally different to others or to the artist himself. That singer, dancer, or celebrity isn't some star-crossed lover of yours that is trying to find you by touring to different cities. He is simply human just like the rest of us with his own life, own heart, and own problems.

That is right, I said problems. These men that we dream to one day wed or have one-night-stands with have their own problems to deal with. Physically they may seem attractive and healthy, but their mental state may be completely in shatters. These men are human just as much as we are, so thinking that if we just date them they will stay true to us is flawed. That may be true in some situations, but you can't apply it to all. These men see many other women that can easily lead them astray even if we did date them, and depending on their mentality we may find ourselves facing what we thought was reality (him being a loyal, loving man) to what actually is reality.

I say all this not to completely disapprove of fan-girling over a male artist. It is how far you would go that should be stopped. We can cheer on these men and say uplifting things about them because they sometimes do live very harsh lives. But, when we comment about giving up our bodies to these men that is going to far. For one thing, it is not appropriate for younger audiences to hear/read that. Second, it sets an example (a bad one if I might add) to the following generations. It shows that it is okay when a male artist or celebrity comes to give up all your morals, everything you are to him, even when he doesn't know your name.

You may be asking, "What about you? You make yourself sound so holy." In actuality, I'm not. I have fantasized (not to the extreme lengths as some) about male celebrities and/or artists, and I haven't for others. What I want to do is stop wasting my time on thinking these men will one day find me and marry me, but to shift my thoughts on more relevant ideas. For example, who I am, what I want to do with my life, and what I want to achieve.

Believe me when I say, the next time a favorite male artist of mine comes to town, I will most likely fan-girl over him. However, I won't go to extreme lengths to get noticed or be remembered by him because no matter how much life stalking we do over the internet about the guy, we still don't truly know him. I will enjoy myself, the music, and talking with the male artist, but I won't go home and fantasize about sleeping with him or other activities not appropriate for all audiences. That time focusing on some celebrity is time wasted, and you may just miss the one God has planned for you.

I choose to fan-girl but always remember that these men are just that: men. They aren't gods or angels. Just men. I hope that you will do the same.