Bob Dylan: A Tribute In 4 Songs | The Odyssey Online

Bob Dylan: A Tribute In 4 Songs

The man, the myth, the legend explained in my top 4 favorite songs.

27
Bob Dylan: A Tribute In 4 Songs
All About Jazz

With Bob Dylan’s 75th birthday right around the corner, I decided to write a tribute to the man who not only revolutionized the music industry, but also changed American pop culture forever. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a Dylan fanatic, to say the least— I even wrote a few of my college applications about him. Dylan, to me, is more than just a musician; he’s a poet, a prophet, a dreamer; a symbol, a guide, and a mentor; a lifestyle of creativity, of playfulness and humor, of curiosity and search, and of course, of unbridled, shameless individuality. Dylan is someone who goes against the grain— not for the sake of being different, but because he has to. He holds nothing back in his relentless pursuit of self.

On top of that, he’s also a certified badass, and an awesome musician. No one sounds quite like him. So here’s to Dylan and everything he’s done for the music industry. As tribute, here are my four favorite Dylan songs— and trust me, it wasn’t easy to choose.

1. "Let Me Die in My Footsteps," "The Bootleg Series, Vol. 9"

A short, honest, little tune, “Let Me Die in My Footsteps” is definitely an underrated song. Hidden in obscurity, this song represents the pinnacle of Dylan’s early folk phase. Mellow, earthy guitar accompanies Dylan’s throaty warble as he takes us on an imaginary journey through the unseen secret places of America.

Though centered around the passing of time, and as the name implies, ultimately death, the song is rooted in the present. It encourages us to experience the world with openness, and to soak up as much of life as we can. Adventure, beauty, and a love for the wild places color the lyrics of this song. Dylan reminds us to love life for what it is, for eventually, all things must end.

2. "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands," "Blonde on Blonde"

In many ways, I think "Blonde on Blonde" is Dylan’s best album, and represents a sort of crossroads between his past and his present. “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands,” an epic love ballad, takes up an astounding 11 minutes and 22 seconds: the entire fourth side of "Blonde on Blonde." It has an otherworldly, dreamy sort of quality, and reminds us of the hazy space between wakefulness and sleep.

With ghost-like vocals, organ-like harmonica, and tinny metronomic tambourine, the song walks on the edge of eternity, occupying a sort of timelessness— sounding both antique and futuristic at the same time. Dylan describes his lover in mythic proportions, making the “sad-eyed lady” astronomical, meteoric, in her beauty, power and importance.

“Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” is a dream, a memory, and a vision all wrapped up in one. It’s hard to hear this song and not be moved by Dylan’s brooding lyrics, or by his, albeit jaded, idealism. This song is a rare glimpse at Dylan’s hidden romantic, and at its heart is a song about what love is supposed to be.

3. "Like a Rolling Stone," "Highway 61 Revisited"

Perhaps Dylan’s most iconic tune, “Like a Rolling Stone” is the song that changed everything. Dylan sings about a privileged, high-society girl, whose future rests gently upon a nest of shining expectations. Everything, however, soon falls apart, as she finds that the world is a harsh, cruel, cold place. The song is sour, bitter, a disdainful sneer that can turn wine to vinegar.

It’s a tough song to listen to, and leaves us with a dirty, dark taste in our mouths. Dylan hurls accusation after accusation, and each is like a sharp prick in the side. It’s a ravaging critique of American society, of the exclusivity of the '60s, and Dylan doesn’t hold back. Though the song is a downer to say the least, Dylan goes all in, and it’s impossible to not admire his commitment and resolve. Dylan doesn’t compromise here; he’s 100 percent himself, and doesn’t let anyone or anything change him, for better or for worse.

4. "Boots of Spanish Leather," "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Perhaps one of the greatest, most powerful love ballads of all time, “Boots of Spanish Leather” evokes a visceral reaction in anyone who listens. Written as a dialogue between two lovers, Dylan spins a tale of sorrow and of heartbreak, where the woman sails away, and never comes back. Devastated, the only thing the man wants from her is to send him a pair of boots made of Spanish leather.

Like many early Dylan songs, “Boots of Spanish Leather” succeeds because of its simplicity. Accompanied by only the rhythmic picking of his guitar, Dylan’s soft croon is bare, and emotionally raw. In this song, we feel with him— hope, love, loss, profound loneliness. Framed by the starry sky and the open sea, the song is a timeless fairytale. Dylan opens himself up to not only feeling, but also to our judgement, and hides nothing. Much like leather, which visibly bears every mark of its past, “Boots of Spanish Leather” is palpably honest, and hits home.

Happy 75th, Dylan, and thanks for over 50 years of kickin' music!