12 Reasons Why Bloomington-Normal Isn't Actually That Bad

BloNo shouldn't be getting so much hate.

297
Normal

1. There are restaurants EVERYWHERE.

If you’re ever hungry and you’re in Bloomington-Normal, you’re covered. Really. It actually has the most restaurants per capita in the entire country. Everywhere you turn in this town there is a restaurant. Whether it be Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, or Panera, it’s got all that and a ton more. Whatever type of food you’re feeling, there is bound to be a restaurant that suits your fancy.

2. Bloomington Farmers Market

I mean...this speaks for itself. Who doesn’t like farmers markets? You can pick flowers, make and try lavender lemonade (super yum), and buy some awesome fruits and veggies. Granted, this isn’t open all year round, but this is definitely something fun to do if you’re “stuck” in BloNo in the summer.

3. Uptown Normal

Sugar Mama cupcakes, Children’s Discovery Museum, Insomnia Cookies, Garlic Press... Need I say more? Uptown Normal is the cutest little place to hang out. In the summer, singers and bands come to play, and people bring blankets and food while they chill out and listen to some awesome music. And in the winter, lights are strung up on all the trees. Uptown Normal is always hoppin’ and for a good reason. It’s awesome!

4. US Cellular Coliseum

Since it has opened in 2006, the US Cellular Coliseum has hosted tons of fun concerts, family shows, ice shows, motor sports, and trade shows. Really good performances of many kinds happen here. There’s always something fun going on!

5. Small Town Vibe

Having lived in BloNo for my whole life, I’ve noticed that it really feels like a small town. Even though Bloomington-Normal is a thriving town of around 133,000 people, it has that special, down to earth, small town vibe. There are so many people that know you through connections, and it’s great! It’s so humble, and I love that about it.

6. It has SO many churches.

If church and religion are your thing, then look no further. Just like restaurants, BloNo has SO many churches. If you’re looking to settle down in a good church community, you’re totally covered. Just in Bloomington alone there are 76. Combined, BloNo has a total of 113 churches!

7. State Farm Park

If your mom or dad works at State Farm in BloNo, your whole family has the privilege of going to State Farm Park for free. Even if on the off chance that neither of your parents work at State Farm, you are still able to come as a guest if you come with someone who is a member. You can golf on the golf course here, or you can relax at the pool. You have the option to go on the lazy river, read or chill by the sprinklers, go down the red slide, or eat at the beach house (which has the most awesome ice cream might I add). Bloomington-Normal is the only town that has this luxury too, since it is home to the State Farm world headquarters.

8. ISU & IWU

BloNo is home to two amazing universities—Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University. Located in Normal, ISU has around a total of 21,000 enrolled students. Over 160 majors and minors are offered, and it roughly costs $20,000 to attend each year without any scholarships. Located in Bloomington, IWU is quite a bit smaller than Illinois State. There are roughly around 2,000 that attend. There are 42 majors offered. Since it’s a private university, the cost to attend each year is a bit more than ISU at roughly $39,000 without any scholarships.

9. Constitution Trail

Constitution Trail is BEAUTIFUL. If you like taking a stroll, running, biking, roller blading, skateboarding, etc. this is the place to do it. The trail covered around 4.3 miles in the beginning, but after the extremely positive response of the Bloomington-Normal community, the trail has expanded to over 24 miles. The trail winds all the way through town, and it’s absolutely gorgeous if I do say so myself.

10. Miller Park Zoo

For $6.95, you can get into Miller Park Zoo, which is located in Bloomington. You can ride the carousel and watch a wide variety of animals be fed throughout the day like tigers, otters, leopards, and bears. A new flamingo exhibit just opened up, so you can check that out. Snow leopard cubs were added to the zoo family in May as well. Overnight programs are even offered!

11. Gene’s Ice Cream

For anyone who’s reading this and lives in BloNo, your mouth is watering right now as you think about Gene’s Dairy Delight and think about the sprinkle cone with the sugar eyes. Mmmmmm. The best. Gene’s is one of those shops that looks super sketchy from the outside (especially at night…), but has the best food ever. If you haven’t been already, you should check it out ASAP. You won’t regret it.

12. Grove Street Bakery

I saved the best for last, friends. Grove Street Bakery has the best cookies I’ve ever tasted in my life. I got a big box of Grove Street cookies for my birthday instead of cake one year and I have never regretted it. My dad sent me selfies with the white box of cookies while I was away at school this year. They’re a big deal. Located on Grove Street in Bloomington, it doesn’t look like much on the outside, but when you walk in you are hit with the smell of sugar and frosting. Now if you know me, this would be enough to knock my socks off. I love sugary things and all things sweet. So this little tidbit about Grove Street may be a bit bias…

There are obviously more than twelve reasons why Bloomington-Normal really isn’t as horrible as people make it out to be. Yes, it doesn’t have mountains, and yes it does have a lot of corn and other kinds of crops, but there is much more to this special town than these things. Especially coming home from school and hearing some slams about good ol’ BloNo, I got a bit ticked off and I felt the need to make a list of reasons (with the help of my brother) why it shouldn’t be getting so much hate. Hopefully this helps to open some people’s eyes to how many things that Bloomington-Normal has to offer. So, instead of complaining about how you’re “stuck” in BloNo, I hope this list has given you some ideas of things to do or appreciate about BloNo.