Ignorance Is Not Bliss

Ignorance Is Not Bliss

You'd just be lying to yourself.

18
Ignorance Is Not Bliss

Thanksgiving past and yet there is still so much to be thankful for, especially as I go back home for the holidays. As I turn on the news, I see war, death, and poverty; how can this happen even during this loving time of year? It’s hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that no matter how peaceful our world is, there will always be evil occurring somewhere. As hard it is to listen to these terrible news stories, I’m tired of closing my eyes to it. I’m tired of many people who surround me are ignorant to it. I’m tired of the news giving us just the brief story because it’s “too much” for the public to handle. I want to be educated and I want to be aware of the world that surrounds me.

I feel extremely lucky that I live in this country where almost everywhere I go I feel safe. I don’t fear that I’m going to die that day or my house may be taken away from me at any moment. I used to want to travel the world and attempt to go everywhere, until I came across a news sight that does give you uncensored news. I somewhat knew these terrible things existed but it was just a figment of my imagination because I never saw proof. Realizing public stoning’s, hangings, and beheadings still exist made me realize life is so precious. In third world countries, these terrible acts exist for some of the most unbelievable reasons: because you are gay, a thief, or went against your countries rules. It saddens me that people are willing to steal when they know the penalty is death. That shows how so many people in this world do not get the basic necessities for life (food, clean water, etc.) I will never truly understand how these people live or feel, but the least I can do is spread awareness of this issue.

An issue that is truly concerning to me currently is the Battle of Aleppo. Not once at my school have I heard someone talk about what is going on in Syria. Innocent people are dying because the Syrian government wants control over the biggest cities in Syria. Children and families are constantly dying as many people are fleeing but some don't make it in time or they get in trouble because they aren't following the "rules". No one seems to be truly stopping them from taking over these cities, as the rebels are did their best to fight against the government. Someone with power needs to step in, this bloodshed must be stopped. It seems to me that many of us are scared or else the weapons will be turned towards us.

This world is too political for me. Where is the love? Why can’t we understand that we should be protecting the human race? Can’t you see that our own selfishness is going to end up killing us? We are constantly making progress to saving this world, but the rate is too slow. To make a difference we need to start acting now. To save ourselves, we need to help others.