The Best Things About Memphis

The Best Things About Memphis

118
The Best Things About Memphis
memphis.edu

Memphis is a great place and there are so many reasons why. Though it is the second most dangerous place in the country, don't let that stop you from visiting. Everyone needs to visit at least once, so they can appreciate its unique culture. Let me convince you why it's great -- I know Memphians would agree.

The Food

More importantly, the barbecue. Memphians are serious about their food. From barbecue to fried chicken to everything in between, they have perfected all the recipes. Their southern comfort food will bring you back to your childhood where you swore your grandmother's house was home to the best mac 'n cheese in the world, and the warm hospitality is all the more reason to keep you going back again and again. Memphis is famously known for Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, Central BBQ, Rendezvous, Commissary and more. Some other local favorites include Folk's Folly, The Beauty Shop, Huey's, Babalu Tacos and Tapas, Las Tortugas Deli Mexicana, Jerry's Sno Cones, and Ching's Hot Wings. If you haven't been yet, what are you waiting for?

The Music

Memphis is home to Beale Street, the historical street of the blues. Here you can find BB King's Blues Club, New Daisy Theatre, well-known restaurants, and lots of bars with performances from local artists. Memphis keeps pride in their jazz and blues, but also branches out to all types of music. Memphis has a month-long festival in May that includes a weekend just for music. The Beale Street Music Festival grows every year with big-name artists headlining. Memphis is also home to Sun Studios, "where rock-n-roll was born." Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Elvis Presley all recorded here. Today, hip-hop has found a home in the cultural aspect of Memphis, which shows that this city is open to any and all types of music. Some famous musicians and bands from Memphis include Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Aretha Franklin, Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, Juicy J, Yo Gotti, and Skillet. Other popular concert venues include Mud Island Amphitheater, Levitt Shell, Snowden Grove Amphitheater, Minglewood Hall, Lafayette's Music Room, Young Avenue, and Memphis Botanic Gardens.

The Grizzlies

Not just the NBA basketball team, but the pride behind it! The Grizzlies are the only NBA team in the state of Tennessee, so all the more reason to cheer them on! Memphians are proud of their team and stand behind them, win or lose, good seasons or bad. They play in the FedEx Forum-a nice arena that also hosts tons of concerts each year. Grizzlies fans are like no other and it is a privilege to be a part of the fandom behind a great team.

There is so much to do.

Whether you are looking for a family-friendly baseball game or a night out with your friends, you can find it in Memphis. The Memphis Zoo, National Civil Rights Museum, The Peabody Hotel, a RedBirds game at AutoZone Park, a Memphis Tigers Basketball game at the FedEx Forum or football game at the Liberty Bowl, Pink Palace Museum, Graceland, The Children's Museum of Memphis, Stax Museum of American Soul Music, Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid, Shelby Farms Park, Tom Lee Park, Overton Park, Cooper-Young Historic District, and Overton Square are all not-aforementioned, must-see places when visiting Memphis.

And if you are looking to go to school, The University of Memphis, Rhodes, Christian Brothers University, Memphis College of Art, UT Health and Science Center, and many more are all great colleges located right in the beloved city. Other cities may have similar restaurants, bars or events, but in Memphis, it's different. You can't find the same people anywhere else. Everyone that lives in Midtown, Downtown, Collierville, Germantown, Bartlett, Arlington, Cordova, Lakeland or any other suburb of Memphis, all have one thing in common and that's Memphis pride. Living in a city that people love and cherish is a worthwhile experience. It is rewarding that people can appreciate the art, culture, and history of this city. Granted, for some people it may take leaving Memphis to realize what a cool place it is, but as long as we know how great it is that is enough for me.